I bit my lip a bit as I took in what she said to me. "It's not that easy mama, it's not", I said.

She furrowed her eyebrows and waved me off. "That's foolishness, it could be so simple if you actually put in as much effort as you do with what you do on a day to day basis. You need to start speaking to God. He is always listening and he only allow things like this to happen because you know right from wrong, you know you're wrong August. You need to start caring about your life and I don't mean going back and forth with them boys shooting at each other, hoping that you'll make it through. You need to consider getting out of New Orleans. If you don't get gunned down Aug, you're going to end up with life. No man should have to walk around with those two options when you have the opportunity for a brand new start else where. You shouldn't have to choose your poison. Take advantage of starting a new life, there's nothing here for you but sorrow. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable in your own home. You shouldn't have it embedded in your mind that you don't have long to live.", she said and with that I heard a car door.

I sat up, turned a bit in my seat to see Netia walking up the walkway out the window. I stood to my feet, unlocked the front door and held it open for her. "Hey Aug", Netia greeted as she walked inside.

"What's goin on", I greeted. She closed the door behind her before hugging me.

Netia broke our hug and walked over to mama as I took my original seat. "Hey mama", she greeted as she leaned in and hugged her.

"Hey baby", mama said as the hug was broken. "How was work?", she queried as Netia took a seat next to her.

She sighed. "I had a long night, I thought I would've gotten off last night as usual but a trauma surgery had to be done", she said as she shook her head. "That's why I wasn't able make it here to pick up the plate", she stated as she leaned on the armrest and fondled her hair.

My mama nodded. "Yeah, I got your text where you said you couldn't make it", she said as she grabbed her mug from the table and took a sip of her coffee.

Netia took her hands from her hair as she gazed at me. "Baby brotha, it's been a while, how have you been?", she queried.

"I've had better days",I said as I rested my back against the couch. I closed my eyes and pinched the bridge of my nose.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "What's going on with you Aug?", Netia queried.

"Life", I stated in an exasperated tone as I took my fingers away and opened my eyes. I gazed at the ceiling. "Were there a lot of police up there at ya job?", I queried as I took my attention from the ceiling and gazed at Netia.

She nodded. "Yeah, a young woman got shot last night. The one we had to get into the trauma unit. They were there for her, and Detective Murphy, her fath--.", she said before I interrupted her with a deep sigh.

"Tahari Campbell right?", I queried.

She nodded as she furrowed eyebrows. "You know her?", she queried.

I nodded as I sat up and leaned forward a bit. I gazed down at the floor. "Were you there when they were questionin her?", I queried before putting my gaze back on her.

"I asked do you know her?", she spoke.

"I nodded and brought her up so obviously", I said. "She was with me when she got shot, my car got sprayed when I was on my way droppin her off at home", I continued. "My car was so messed up that I had to ride on my rims to Devin's house and had him take me and Tahari to the hospital. I had to at least get her in there because I couldn't stay with her", I said.

Netia mouth dropped. "Are you serious?", she queried in disbelief as she held an unreadable look upon her face. "She and her friend told the police that they were both walking and Tahari was hit in the crossfire", she said as she shook her head. "They were grilling those girls but they stuck with their story", she said.