Aarmau || Hear Me

Inspired by A Silent Voice. 

Deaf Aphmau X Aaron

Aphmau P.O.V

I woke up with the delicate feeling of my mother's hand nudging me. I struggle to retain myself from closing my eyes due to the blinding light in my room. I distinguish my mom sign to me. 'Time to get ready for your first day of high school.' I lift myself from the warm comfort of my bed in an instant. I stride across my room in an anxious mess. I haven't attended a public school since sixth grade. I had to plead as a constant routine at mom to allow me to return. To blame her, I would not. What happened in the past can be difficult to overlook. I'd come back every day with bruises, cuts, and broken hearing aids from the other kids. I'm pulled away from my speculation of the past by my mother tapping my shoulder. She hands me my hearing aids with a smile, but I could see that she had a worried glint in her eyes. I give a reassuring smile, putting my hearing aids on.

When they were on she engulfs me into a hug. "Promise me that you'll tell me if anything happens." She pulls out of the hug to look me in the eyes, waiting for an answer. I kept the false smile on my face as I give her a nod. She gives a little grin in return and helps prepare me for high school.

I dawdle through the complex halls of high school in an attempt to navigate my class. I tried to ask around, but I couldn't seem to catch their attention. This is just great, why am I such a failure? I stop walking leaning on the walls of the school. I feel a vibration coming from my phone, it was FC.

FC: Hey Shu how's school going.

Shu: Great, except the fact that I'm lost.

FC: Great going Shu. Why don't you ask for help?

Shu: I've tried, but no one can seem to hear me.

FC: Got to go Shu, classes are about to start. Hang in there.

FC Left the Chat Room.

I slump down my shoulders. Shu is the only person who talks to me as a normal person. He's my only friend. I turn off my phone, and get ready to begin another round of wandering around the hallways. When all a sudden I felt a force of impact knock me down. I shut my eyes as I crash down onto the floor. I open my eyes to see me on the floor with my stuff scattered everywhere. The best part, is that one of my hearing aids came out. I collect my items trying to find eyes out for my hearing aid. Mom's going to kill me if she figures out I lost my hearing aid again. I felt a rough hand tap my shoulder I turn my head to see a boy, and he seemed frustrated with me. He stares at me with his dark eyes, eyebrows furrowed. I took in his memorizing black hair, and notice that he has a bandage on his cheek. I realize that he had his arm stretched out with my missing hearing aid in the palm of his hands. I take the hearing aid from his rough, warm hand. I scatter for my notebook so that I could thank him, but he took a hold of my arms halting my actions. I stare at him, wondering why he stopped me.

The boy raises his hands into my field of view and starts to sign. 'You don't need to do that. I know sign language, my names Aaron.'

I couldn't help but smile knowing there was someone who'd I be able to talk to. 'Thank you so much. My names Aphmau, sorry to pester you, but do you know where my class is?' I hand him my schedule.

Aaron reads over the schedule and nods. 'Yeah, follow me.' Then we walk down the hallways, I relieved that I would be wandering no longer.

Questions regarding Aaron began to bubble up, but what if I bother him. I don't want to be a nuisance like I was with the other kids in elementary. One question should be fine right? I tap Aaron's shoulder in which he looks back at me with curiosity written on his face. 'How do you know sign language?'

He looks away, taking in a deep breath. Gosh now he'll thinks that I'm just extra luggage now, good job Aphmau. He shoots his head back at me, but his eyes, they're filled with the look of...guilt? He signs in hesitation. 'There was this girl in my elementary school who was deaf like you, and the way I treated her was just awful. It's just a stupid attempt to relieve my guilt.'
It dawned on me, this Aaron is the same Aaron I knew as a child. The same boy who would tease and bully me. He was the one who'd break an abundance of my hearing aids. This is the boy I yearned to be friend with all my heart because, I knew he hated my guts. 

So deep in my own world, it took me a while to notice we have arrived at my classroom. I look up at Aaron and rush to thank him so I could retreat to my class.

There is going to be a part two.