Three

Sarah's POV

I looked at Mat, confused.

"What do you mean 'he'll be killing the one he loves?'" I asked.
Mat sighed, letting out a smirk. "Him and I have been together for two years."
"Like... boyfriends?" I asked in astonishment.
Mat nodded, "It all started off when he was brought into this mental institution I used to work at." He explained. "Nate has, all kinds of negative disabilities. Bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, all kinds of personality and mood disorders that I would have to list for you."
"People can surviving having all of those disorders?" I asked.
Mat nodded, "some of them occur from the other disorders."
"Okay, so... how did you two meet?" I asked.
"I was assigned as his caretaker in the isolation stations, since I was the one who knew the most about some of the disorders he has." Mat explained. "And, believe it or not, he was never the way he was now. He was kind, caring and would actually smile a lot. A smile of actual happiness and joy, not menacingly." Mat then smirked a smile. "His smile is so nice when he's happy..."
"I'm guessing you haven't seen that type of smile in a while?" I asked.
Mat shook his head. "Not since we both escaped together."
"You two escaped from the institution?" I asked.
"It was all his idea." Mat claimed. "And, because I had grown such a strong bond with Nate, I actually went along with him and helped him."
"Did you get in trouble?" I asked.
"No." Mat said. "We didn't even get caught. We walked for miles into the woods behind the institution before we stopped to get some rest. Needless to say, we didn't even make it out of the woods."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"That's exactly where we are." Mat stated. "In the middle of the woods in an underground cellar."
"And you've been in here since?" I asked. "Just letting Nate torture you?"
Mat nodded. "I saw it coming the very first moment we escaped from that place. But I promised myself that no matter what crazy ass stuff he does to me, that I would always stay by his side."

I was silent for a moment before I asked him another question.

"Then why did he kidnap me?" I asked. "And kill a whole bunch of other people?"
"Like I said before... if he killed me, he would be killing the person he loves the most." Mat responded. "As to why he kidnapped you, I'm still unsure of that."
"Has he tried to kill you before?" I asked.
"Too many times to count." Mat insisted. "It was so hard to convince him the first few times not to kill me, and I almost did die twice, but now I know how to get to him, and he's stopped."
"D-Do you think he'll kill me?" I asked.
Mat shrugged. "He might... but I'll figure out a way to have him spare you."
"I'll figure out something, too..." I agreed.
---
Raven's POV

Sarah's parents and many other members of her family and friends, as well as other neighbors and officers immediately joined in the help to find Sarah.

We each split up into different groups. One group went and knocked door to door to see if anybody has seen or heard from Sarah, another group went and hung up posters and handed out flyers to people on the streets. The third group, which me and Sarah's parents were a part of went and searched the entire town for any signs of Sarah.

While we were looking in the town, we came across a homeless man, who was going through a purse.

That purse just so happened to have been Sarah's.

Sarah's father immediately pointed a gun directly at the man, who put his hands up.

"George!" Sarah's mother exclaimed.
"Drop the purse NOW!" Sarah's father demanded.
"Look, whatever you're accusing me of I didn't do it!" The homeless man claimed.

Sarah's Dad didn't say anything, he went over and handcuffed the man.

"Can't you hear the man out?" I asked.
"He has my daughters purse and he's going through it like a mad man!" Sarah's Dad stated.
"Look! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to take the purse! I just found it lying outside of the woods!" The homeless man explained.

Sarah's Dad stopped what he was doing and looked at the man.

"Where did you say you found it?" Sarah's Dad asked.
"Right outside of the woods, over there!" The man responded, pointing directly outside of the woods.

After a few moments of silence, Sarah's Dad snatched Sarah's purse from the man, carefully going through it to make sure everything was still in there. He then uncuffed the man, reached into his pocket and gave $20 to the man.

"If you see my daughter, which I'm sure you've seen her license after going through her purse, let me know." Sarah's Dad told the man. He then gave the man a card with his contact information before we left the man alone.

"We're not really going into the woods this late at night are we?" Sarah's mom asked.
"No, we'll wait until dawn." Sarah's Dad responded. "Until then, I'll go back to the station and look for any leads from Sarah's purse. Surely this suspect must've left some fingerprinting behind."

The three of us then walked back to the police station. Sarah's mom and I immediately decided to go into one of the rooms to try and get as much rest as we could before we set off again.