Chapter Nine

To my patient whose expecting a damn good explanation from her therapist,

Allow me first to explain why I didn't call the other night as I promised. There was a power cut. A really big one.

You're probably out now or curled up because of yesterday not turning out how you wanted but the power has only just come on now and I have the day off work so please email me back if you want me to call you now.

From the side of the world where it's sleeting,

Miles.

***

To Miles.

That's a very kind thought but you don't have to call and listen to me moan.

You should be out having fun like all the other single, gorgeous musicians who are too far away, young and good for me.

I found my sister's liquor cabinet so I'm good. It's very pretty.

Thank you for caring, really, I do appreciate it but I hate being a burden. . .which sounds like bourbon, which reminds me. . .

From the warm side of the planet,

Nina

***

I flop my head back into my hand and yawn. My head and eyes are sore and I'm sure I must smell pretty rough. Surprisingly, this has nothing to do with finding a certain well-stocked liquor cabinet. It has more to do with closing the curtains, locking the doors and watching Sea Patrol for the last day and a bit, trying to forget the majority of what happened yesterday...or the day before...or whenever it was.

The computer beeps so I pull my head back out of my hand and look at the screen.

Nina,

Put your phone back on. Please.

I want to talk to you. It's not exactly what all the "single, gorgeous musicians" are doing these days but it's what this one wants to do.

I smile and stumble to the lounge to put the phone back on. I'd left a message so that if anyone called, they'd get an apology and the date and time for the funeral along with the message for them to spread the word. Part of the idea is sheer genius but most of it is laziness. Another new facet of my personality I'm not that particularly proud of.

The phone rings so and I pick it up and rest my head against a wall.

"Hello." I yawn into it.

"Uh...hi."

I pull my head off the wall. I don't know this voice...or do I?

"Hello?" I decide to say again.

"Nina? It's Joe...from next door."

"Oh...oh, hi." 

"Hi...I was just. I just. Alyssa said you haven't been coming to the door and she was worried so I . . ."

"Oh, right. No sorry. I had a crap day Tuesday so took the wimps way out and . . .yeah." I decide not to explain any further, afraid I'll over explain and embarrass myself.

"Oh, right," he says. There's a silence and rest my head against the wall again, knowing I could be having an in-depth discussion with Miles right now, instead of an awkward one with the neighbour.

"Actually I was wondering if you need some work done on the garden? I mean, I know you're only here for a month and it's a big job so... so..." I hear him sigh and for some reason, I can imagine him with that same hurt look on his face as the other day. "I mean, my garden isn't much to go by but...but sometimes it's easier to deal with other people's gardens than your own..."