One

The girl, Eve, speed-walked down the busy London streets, lugging along a brown leather case that was full of magical creatures. She bumped into a few people as she walked, quietly apologizing to them. 

She didn't know where she was headed, as long as it was far away from the house that held the dead body, she was good. 

Eve walked into an alleyway and hid behind a trashcan, too overwhelmed by dehydration and hunger. She almost passed out when she heard a little hoot above her head. She looked up and saw  a small, brown owl. It held a letter in its claw and was pushing it towards her. She tentatively took  it and the owl immediately flew off. 

That's a bit strange, she thought. She flipped the letter over and read the back. 

Miss E. Garner

The Alley Between Gullblat's Delicatessen and Speedy Cleaners.

Little Whinging

Surrey

Her eyes widened. Was she being watched? She looked out from behind the trashcan and scanned the empty alleyway. No one was there. She flipped the letter open and ripped it open. Inside, the letter read:

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Dear Miss Garner

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. We understand you are in a tight spot at the moment and may not be able to get your supplies, so we have obtained them for you. We will send one of our professors to help you get your uniform, a wand, and any other necessities you may need. You will not be allowed to buy a pet due to the fact you have a suitcase full of them.

We will see you on September 1, the first day of school. Please board the Hogwarts Express on platform 9 3/4. 

Yours sincerely, 

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

"Miss Garner?" Eve yelped when she heard someone call her name. She looked up to see an old man with half circle glasses and a long light brown beard. He was dressed in long, strange looking robes.

"I'm sorry to fright you. My name is Albus Dumbledore, I'm here to help you find all the necessary things for your long stay at Hogwarts." Eve clutched tightly to her suitcase and tried to squeeze herself into a tight ball. 

"Now, dear, no need to be afraid. I'm not going to hurt you. You won't have to feel any more pain, your life has changed now that you have been accepted to Hogwarts." Professor Dumbledore held out a hand to her. 

Eve stared at it, contemplating this stranger's words. She thought back to the letter. All her instincts told her it was a scam, a lie. This man could kidnap her. But she didn't have a home at the moment, and all she was wearing was basically a ripped pillowcase. She thought about the beasts in the suitcase, how much they needed her care. She thought about her mother and her life before all of this. 

She decided to take the risk, and took the professor's hand.

Together, they walked down to Hogsmeade, where Eve learned about the wonderful wizarding world and finally felt like she had somewhere to belong.

❦   ❦   ❦

❦   ❦   ❦

Eve walked into the train station lugging along her suitcase which held her only belongings (some robes, normal clothes, pyjamas, and of course her creatures, standing on her tip toes to try and see platform 9 3/4. She only saw 9 and 10, though. Dejectedly, she huffed and tucked her hair behind her ear. She heard a little squeak emerge from within her robes. She pulled out a small baby bowtruckle, which she had learned the name from professor Dumbledore. He was one of the twig like creatures from her suitcase that had taken a liking to her and refused to go back to his family of bowtruckles inside the case.

"Oh, Pickett." She sighed, letting the bowtruckle stand on her hand. "I can't find the platform anywhere. What do I do?" Picket stroked her thumb to calm her down, and she gave him a grateful smile.

"I'll just have to keep looking." She gently pushed Pickett back into her robes and looked around. She was mostly observing other people to see if any of them looked out of place, and she finally saw one. A boy with curly hair and freckles was saying goodbye to an older woman, probably his mom, Eve thought. He had with him multiple large suitcases and a cage that contained an owl. Yup, definitely a wizard.

Eve watched as he walked up to one of the pillars in the train tracks and just ran right through it, carrying owl cage and pushing along the cart that held his suitcases.

Eve gaped as the pillar seemed to swallow him. Where did he go? She ran up to the pillar and poked it. Her finger went through as if the pillar wasn't there.

She inhaled and prepared herself for the worst. She ran head first into the pillar, shutting her eyes tight.

When she opened her eyes, she saw that she was still in the trains station, but before her eyes was the Hogwarts Express. Many other parents stood to the side, wishing their sons and daughters good luck at school. Eve looked around in awe at the sight before her. She decided to board, since no one would come to bid her farewell.

She found the first empty compartment and sat herself down, setting her case beside her. She let Pickett come out of her robes and stand on the window, looking out at all the people that walked by.

She saw one of the creature's hands try to open the case from the inside, so she rolled her eyes and was just about to open it to calm her creatures down when the compartment door opened. She quickly shoved the animal inside and locked the case, ignoring the loud cry the animal gave and the thud as it hit the floor.

"Hi, um, sorry m-may I sit in here? All the other compartments are full." Eve looked up to see the boy that she observed earlier, the one with curly hair and freckles. He looked nervous and wouldn't make eye contact wit her.

"Y-yeah, sure, come in." The boy let out a breath and walked in, holding a large book and a small suitcase.

He sat across from her and they both just stared at each other for a few moments.

"M-my name is Newt Scamander." The boy started shyly. He looked about as red as a tomato.

Eve smiled at his bashfulness and said "Hi, Newt, my name is Eve."

Newt finally looked into her eyes and they both smiled at each other. Suddenly his smile faltered, replaced by a look of surprise.

"I-is that a bowtruckle?!" He lunged forward out of his seat and stood very close to Eve, causing her face to go bright red.

Pickett squeaked at the sudden motion and dived into her robes, but Eve coaxed him out.

"Yeah, this is Pickett. He's not fully grown yet." The bowtruckle stared up at Newt, trying to figure out if he was to be trusted.

Newt held out his index finger for Pickett to shake, and the bowtruckle eventually did, reaching out with his small hand.

Newt grinned and laughed, overjoyed that Pickett trusted him. It made Eve smile too, a genuine smile. She finally found a friend.

But then the words of her papa came back to her, "You're a freak, and no one likes a freak." Her smile turned into a light frown as she stared at Newt, who was now cradling Pickett in his arms. They're friends, right?

He wouldn't hate her, would he?