Introduction

(Y/n) and Kakashi are best friends (cliche, I know), and also neighbors. Your fathers are in charge of a large corporation and are often away on business. Your mother started off as Kakashi's father's assistant and she fell in love with her boss's business partner. Kakashi's mother, on the other hand, works as their CEO, and often accompanies them on travels. Your mother often joins, despite only being an assistant.
   Due to this, you and Kakashi are often left home alone. But, despite now entering high school, they trust you two. You've been friends since birth practically, and nothing has changed. Kakashi was a shy kid, whereas you were loud and ready for anything. But things changed.
   Kakashi became Konoha High's "It" boy. Girls threw themselves at him even more, he became captain of his sports teams, and kept straight A's. You, on the other hand, were content with being more of a wallflower type. You weren't ugly by any means, but you didn't care about boys. You also didn't do sports, opting to join the fine arts department. You also kept straight A's, due to your parents' motivation.
   Some things remained the same, however. Kakashi still refused to open up to most people, keeping the "cool guy" persona people forced upon him at a young age. You still took naps in some classes, not bothering to care. Your friendship with Kakashi was the only thing people knew you for, despite being loud and often sleeping later.
   Your parents and Kakashi's always dreamed you two would end up together, but you two denied feelings for each other. As far as you were concerned, Kakashi didn't really have romantic feelings. You, on the other hand, had a new crush every week. This developed into a full blown crush on a boy named Genma, one of Kakashi's best guy friends.
   Little did you know, Kakashi has kept feelings for you since the first day of kindergarten. Under his both metaphorical and literal mask, he hides his love for the small girl whose nose wrinkles a little when she laughs; the one who makes his heart beat a little faster when he sees her and her adorable sleepy smile. But he'll never tell you and you'll never find out; he thinks it's better that way. He doesn't want to see you be torn apart by it, or make things weird. He's noble that way, despite seeming like an arrogant jock.
   Besides, you're close friends with Rin Nohara. And Rin is another Kakashi fangirl. She has been, ever since elementary school. Most girls have, come to think of it. In Rin's words, "Kakashi just has this... This aura to him. He's so cool, and smart, and handsome!" You, on the other hand, couldn't see how they found a masked boy handsome. They only ever saw his eyes. But Rin didn't mind, she still loved the silver haired boy. So you promised her you'd never get in the way.
   Kakashi knew about your promise to Rin. He knew he would never fall for someone like Rin, no matter how pretty or nice she was. He also knew you would never allow yourself to like the same boy as Rin, either. You wouldn't risk the friendship. Rin was one of your only female friends.
   As the years went by, you and Kakashi found yourselves a month from starting your freshman year of high school.
A neighbor boy and classmate you knew as Obito Uchiha had professed his feelings for Rin, Kakashi's friend Asuma and your friend Kurenai began dating officially, and Might Guy was still trying to win over another of your friends, named Anko.
   Great, everyone is going to focus on their feelings. And come to me when things don't go right, you thought. I'm never going to get any sleep!
   So you decided you'd just tell them to go to Kakashi. He never has bad advice, despite his seemingly heartless demeanor. With giggles in your head, you couldn't wait for school! Kakashi, on the other hand, was dreading it.
   I got all summer with (y/n) and she's still head over heels for Genma. And now she'll probably have every single class with him, none with me, and everything is going to fall apart! Kakashi thought to himself as he got ready to leave. He didn't realize, that, like most years, you two would have the same schedule. But so would Genma.
   And so, you and Kakashi took the ten minute walk to school, both brimming with feeling. Words didn't have to be spoken, but your looks told everything.
   You were nervous, but glad. Also incredibly tired, but that was nothing new. Your hair was gleaming after the extra work for pictures, but your dress shirt was wrinkled because you didn't care.
   Kakashi was calm and cocky, shirt pressed and ironed. Nothing bothered him, something you always admired. He had a fuck it attitude, whereas yours was an I just want to go home one. His mask was secured and when he winked as you two approached, you instantly felt better.
   And freshman year began as you walked in the building.