The big day.

Today was the day. Today her life changed, possibly forever. Today is the day Emma moved out of her family home.

BEEP BEEP BEEP! the alarm screeched next to Emmas head, she raised her tired hand and pressed the screen of her phone -snooze-. snuggling back into her bed for another ten minutes would normally be okay, but today. no. Her eyes shot open in excitement, throwing the striped blue and white duvet off her warm body sending shivers down her spine. Emma raced down the stairs passing her dad on they way. 'alright em?' he called, but she was too busy to answer. Her mum was already in the kitchen cooking a large breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausage. 'You okay em?' her mum asked gently, 'Yeah, I'm just really exited, its a shame we couldn't get an earlier flight so we could get there today. we still have to get all the way to Manchester, go through check-in, security, fly, passport control, get our luggage, get a taxi and get to the apartment so the landlord can give us the key.' Emma panted. 'its okay em, I talked to him, he said if the flight is delayed or anything we can just call him, also, it wont be very late in California anyway.' her Mum slowly replied. 'calm down babe'.

it was 8 hours later and they had finally arrived in Los angeles airport. they stood outside in the heat of the late afternoon, Emma had slept for most of the flight so she felt very sluggish and tired. a taxi pulled up and helped the put their luggage in the back. although she was tired, Emma felt overwhelmed and exited, she couldn't sit still and the driver gave her several disapproving glances in the mirror.

After about a 40 minute drive, they pulled up outside a small apartment building and standing outside was a tall man. he had thick black hair that glistened in the sun and a dark prickly beard covering half of his face. he wore a large smile as he helped them get the bags out of the car.  Dad paid the driver in strange American money that emma would have to quickly get used to. 'so, your room mate goes to the university aswell, she is 22 and is studying phsyciatry. I think you should get along nicely. she will be home in two days'