(4) You're Damn Lucky I Love You

Parker

She thought I didn’t see her that day. Leave. But I did. Oddly enough I saw her exit the boy’s bathroom and then swiftly slip out the side doors virtually unnoticed. She continued to do that the next few days as well.

She wanted space. I gave her space. But it didn’t mean I stopped paying attention. That I stopped caring.

It was Friday night and my best friend Dylan had talked me into going to a party with him to get my mind off of her. I was about as excited as throwing myself into a pool of sharks…but he had a point. Ever since Madalynne had made the stupid decision to push me away I had stopped caring about anything. My appearance, my friends, my studies, my life. I needed this.

For the first time in close to a week I took time and care in picking out what I would wear, I even put a little gel in my hair, and shaved my small amount of facial hair that had begun to grow. Lastly, I put on my cologne Maddy had gotten me for Christmas the previous year. Fierce by Abercrombie and Fitch. Although it sucked to be reminded of her it was something that always gave me confidence.

“You’re seriously like the equivalent to a woman,” Dylan droned from my bed. He was lying on his back staring at a Rolling Stones magazine I had lying around.

“Shut up. Are you ready to go?” I asked him.

Dylan shot up instantly. “Ready to go? I was ready to go thirty minutes ago…but you had to try on—“

I threw my hand over his mouth muffling his words. “Grab your jacket and let’s get out of here.”

He nodded without another word, following my instruction. Before I even knew it we were in his car on the way to the party. “So where’s Kendall tonight?” I asked of Dylan’s girlfriend, who was also coincidentally Maddy’s best friend.

“She and Maddy decided to have a girl’s night. Good thing too. This can be our bros night out.” Dylan tapped on his steering wheel as he said that.

I nodded. I was actually kind of relieved. Not having to worry about running into Maddy and just being able to enjoy myself for once.

There were cars parked all over the grass. “It’s a barn party!” Dylan exclaimed excitedly as he parked and quickly hopped out of the car.

I stared at the red barn in the distance filled with people inside and out mulling about. I took a deep breath and closed the car door. You can do this.

As we approached I noticed an odd assortment of characters. The first thing that really caught my eye was the keg. I wanted to begin the night off right.

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Dylan asked, grinning at me as we closed in.

I nodded, smiling back.

Apparently I hadn’t been on the same page because before I knew it I was upside down on the keg chugging beer until I thought I might puke. I gave the signal to drop me and instantly felt all the blood rush back through my body. But I had to admit, I took it like a champ.

“That was fucking awesome!” Dylan slapped me on the back and then jumped up to do one himself.

I was still unsteady from the keg stand I had just done when I heard my name from behind me. “Parker? Parker Grant? Are you the Parker Grant?” It was a female’s voice but not one I recognized.

I spun around, wiping any remaining beer remnants like foam from my face. “Excuse me? Do I know you?” The strawberry blond hair, short stature, and freckles did not ring a bell.