"Now, what people don't realize about the imperius curse is that not only can it control the mind and body, but it can control parts inside the body. Take Mr. Longbottom's lungs, for example. With the use of the imperius curse, I was able to make them stop working.  You may take your seat, Longbottom."

Neville picked himself up off the ground clumsily, his breathing heavy as he took his seat next to me once more. As Amycus continued on about the imperius curse I leaned over.

"Are you alright?" I murmured. Neville gave a short nod, never looking away from Amycus.

"I'm fine." His throat was raspy and hoarse-sounding, and I made a silent promise to myself to make sure he drank something soothing later. Silently I leant back over to my own seat, though my hand remained with Neville, resting lightly over his. We endured the rest of the class together.

~

"I can't believe it." Ginny sounded aghast as we told her what had happened during Defense Against the Dark Arts earlier. It was the end of the school day now, and we were all huddled up together in the Gryffindor common room. Neville nodded lightly, sipping the tea I had gotten from the house elves. His voice was slowly starting to sound less raspy, but every now and then he'd still cough.

"It was awful." I sighed, shaking my head. "And you should've seen Michael Corner's face. I hope it doesn't scar."

"I think he went to the Infirmary after class." Neville said after a moment, biting his lip with a thoughtful expression. "I think he'll be alright. Just a little shaken."

"Well either way, I'm not looking forward to it tomorrow. Muggle studies was absolutely horrid." Ginny shuddered. She hadn't had Defense Against the Dark Arts yet, but she had an hour of it to look forward to tomorrow. Neville and I would be stuck with Muggle Studies, but thankfully we would at least have transfiguration with McGonagle afterwords.

"On a level of one to ten, how bad?" I asked warily. Ginny grimaced.

"About a strong twelve."

"That's encouraging." Neville mumbled, frowning slightly as he sipped his tea. I shrugged helplessly, my fingers tapping lightly against the fabric of the couch. They were right. It was horrible, and it was only the first day. And it was only going to get worse.

But maybe, just maybe I had the ability to change that.

~

The night after the second day I sat in the headmaster's office, staring at one Severus Snape through narrowed eyes.

"Severus! They are torturing the students out there!" I snapped from where I sat in front of his desk, still holding the ice pack to my face. Snape had offered to heal the bruise, but it would be no good; The Carrow's announcement of a ban on any healing for any type of punishment, and I'd rather not bring more pain on myself just yet.

"What do you wish me to do about it? You know they will speak to the Dark Lord if they think I am being lenient on those who fight against him."

"I don't know. Say something about the papers finding out, or parents being angry. But they left a giant gash Michael Corner's face yesterday, nearly murdered Neville and I don't like getting in trouble myself."

"Then stop being reckless."

"If you didn't want me to fight, why did you want me here in the first place?" I snapped, arms crossing over my chest stubbornly. Snape let out an exasperated sigh, shaking his head.

"You are impossible. As stubborn as your father."

"My stubbornness is not the topic of this conversation. It's one thing to allow the students to be punished, but if it keeps going like this someone is going to end up dead."