Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I walked quietly up the stairs, careful not to alert Andromeda that I had left the living room. Ted had passed out on the couch sometime earlier, leaving me to myself. 

Like I wasn’t going to try and sneak upstairs.

Peeking into the first door on the left, I frowned. Empty. Closing it as quietly as possible, I winced when a loud creak interrupted the silence. Freezing, I waited for a moment to make sure no one had heard before I continued down the hallway, trying to keep my footsteps light. The floor would occasionally creak and bend under me, but the sounds were slight enough that they could be passed off as the sounds the house would make, especially under the weight of the rain that was currently pouring down from the sky.

Turning the knob on the last door to the right, I looked inside and froze. 

“Potter.”

His voice broke slightly, sounding raw as he looked up at me, surprised etched on his face. He straightened up slightly in the bed he was lying in. His hair was ruffled, and a large bruise was on the side of his jaw, matching the one he also wore on his eye.

“Draco-”

“Come here.” He said quietly, watching me with an expression I couldn’t quite read. He looked... Sad. “Shut the door behind you.”

I followed his instructions quietly, closing the door before moving to stand next to his bed. I couldn’t help but frown as I took in the bruises that covered his arms, the weight he’d lost and the circles under his eyes. He looked like he’d been through hell and back. He moved to sit up quietly, struggling for a moment before his feet were on the floor and he was standing up. I had to tilt my head back to meet his eyes.

“You’re not supposed to be here.” He sighed softly, and I frowned. What? I was about to voice my question when he bent down, his lips pressing tenderly against mine, his hands moving to encircle my body. It took me moment to process it before I kissed him back, being wary of his injures as I slid my arms around his neck. 

I could feel his fingers digging into my hips, the pressure just passing comfortable. He had me anchored to him, in such a way it felt like he would never let me go. I was almost convinced he wasn’t when he pulled away, gray eyes watching me steadily. Lifting a hand he pressed two fingers just under my chin, tilting my head up to look at him.

“You shouldn’t be here.”

“Why not?” I frowned, and Draco shook his head, his hands letting go of me completely and taking a step back.

“Because it’s not part of the plan.”

“Plan? Draco, what pla-”

“Don’t ask. Please.” He said quietly, pain in his expression. “It’s the least you can do.”

“Then what do you want me to do?” I asked, feeling slightly exasperated. Draco watched me carefully for a moment, looking more reserved then I have seen him in a long time- at least around me.

“Go get Ted- He’ll send you back home.”

“I’m not going back home, not with you still he-”

“I wasn’t asking you. Go get Ted, or I will myself.” He said crossly,  barely managing to get the sentence out before he coughed, covering his mouth. When he moved his hands, I got sight of his palms before he clenched them. Blood.

“You’re not okay, are you?” I asked quietly, and Draco watched me warily before shaking his head, just slightly. He sat back down on his bed, feet planted firmly on the floor and his hands clasped in his lap.