// CHAPTER 1 //

Lauren's POV

Too noisy. Too many people. Lots of alcohol and lots of flashing colorful lights. I'm totally on my element. Dance clubs are the places I go to most of the nights. Being here makes me feel at ease and forget all my problems. I consider alcohol my best friend. It doesn't judge me and helps me keep going, in some way. That's why I'm always drunk. I feel numb and block any feelings that could possibly disturb me. The thing about feelings is that they hurt. Each person gets over their life deceptions is some way. There are people who just overcome their hurtful situations accepting the pain, fighting it and carrying on. There are other people who just can't forget and the pain only gets stronger and, apparently, invincible. That's me. I can't handle the mere thought of feeling hurt. So I just don't feel. I block anything or anyone that can be a threat. That's how my life had been working since I lost my mom.

I feel too dizzy to be aware of what surrounds me. The music is giving me a headache and I can't bear being around these people anymore. I set my drink on the counter and go outside to find Joey. As soon as I step outside, there is a bunch of paparazzi. I ignore them and go towards the car, where Joey awaits for me.

"Hi, Princess Lauren." He greets me when I get to the back seat of the limo.

"Take me home, please, Joey." I slurred my words but managed to say while my head was spinning.

------------

"Lauren, wake up." I heard Ally, my 'babysitter', call. I groaned. "Lauren Jauregui, wake up. Now." She said louder and sternly this time. When I opened my eyes, I immediately closed them again because of all the light. It took a while for my eyes to focus on a image of Ally who was gazing me with a look I couldn't quite describe, and she carried a tray.

"I brought you lunch." She said placing the tray in front of me. "And an Advil for your headache." She sat beside me in bed and handed me a glass of water.

"Thanks." I mumbled when I finished gulping all the liquid and she flashed me a sad smile. I reciprocated and placed a hand on my forehead.

"Where were you last night?" Ally asked staring right into my eyes intimidating me a little.

"Ally..." I tried dismissing the subject but she interrupted me.

"Where were you last night, Lauren?" She asked again.

"I was partying." I sighed and furrowed when she nodded and looked down.

"Where did I told you not to go to?" She asked not facing me.

"Ally, please..." She shook her head and faced me again.

"Don't Ally please me, Lauren." She didn't look angry. She was disappointed. "How many times have I warned you before to stop partying and drinking so much?" I couldn't look at her eyes so I just gazed down at my lap. "Lauren, how many times?" Her voice was louder now.

"I don't understand why you're doing it to yourself." She said softer and got closer to me and I looked at her teary eyes that made me wince. "You're slowly killing yourself. When was the last time you smiled? I don't remember, and trust me, I would remember." I was getting emotional at this point, too. Where's the alcohol when you need it? "I just wanted you to listen to me. You know how bad this lifestyle is for you. We have argued about it countless times and you just don't seem to care. Clara would be disappointed if she saw how you've been acting lately."

"Don't bring my mom up to this." I said getting angry. "This is the only way I know how to live, so let me be." She shook her head and stood up wiping her eyes. Ally has been there for me since ever. She's my second mom. She was there when my life started crumbling down, and she knows how I was before. She's the one who knows me the best. I didn't mean to disappoint her or my mom, but it's the way I deal with things. Crying to let things out is not really an option for me because it makes you vulnerable and I don't like how that feels; I feel weak and powerless.