Chapter Thirty Four

"Sweet baby Jesus, he's gorgeous."

"I think—"

"Who cares what you think, let me have my moment!" Emily snapped.

"I was going to agree with you." I reasoned.

"Oh."

She had been right. I hadn't seen Scott and Matthew since college, but even then I've always known they were handsome men. Now, it was like they found the fountain of youth and they were eternally blessed with good looks. It was then that I thought I probably should've put more effort into my outfit like Emily, but without the high heels and leather pants.

Scott and Matthew met us at the movie theatre. Both of the brothers were already there, sitting on the bench and waiting for us to arrive and when we did they met us half way. I didn't let myself really look at Matthew in the past because I was taken and in love with another man but now the circumstances have changed. Plus, I've always been attracted to dark haired men. He'd let his hair grow out since too and it was in a bun. He'd also packed on some more muscle. I felt bad that the only thing that changed about me was my last name. Scott was on the same level of sexy, but I didn't give him a second glance out of respect for Emily. She threw herself in his arms.

I laughed at her form of greeting. She'd been looking forward to this since the moment we woke up this morning. I hadn't heard the last of it. She was curious about what Scott would wear and frightened that he would cancel the date at the last minute. I had to listen to her go on and on about the days we'd spent together as a group in college before they transferred. Now, she was finally in front of him and she actually looked happy. I smiled at their exchange, then I remembered that I wasn't alone.

Matthew had been checking me out. At first, I was a little embarrassed. I hadn't been paying attention to him looking at me because I was so focused on Emily. "Hey, Matt." I said.

"Melinda, it's been a while." He said.

Before I knew it, he was enveloping me in his arms. I was caught off guard, but I quickly adjusted. I'd missed being held this way, I missed the comfort, and security of a man's company. I hugged him back and dug my nose in his shoulder to inhale his scent. He was wearing light cologne. Sadly, the hug ended.

"The movie starts in less than five minutes so we should probably put some pep in our step." Scott said. "Ladies, we took the liberty of buying your tickets."

"Only because I made him." Matt said.

Scott glared at his brother. "No, you didn't."

I laughed. Scott and Matthew did like to pick a fight with each other whenever they got the chance. They reminded me of me and sister at times, but they were the male version. When we walked into the movie theatre, Emily had chosen where we were going to sit. She was already holding Scott's hand and led the way to the very top of the theatre.

"They're hitting it off already." Matthew commented.

"Yeah, she wouldn't stop talking about him ever since she woke up this morning." I said. We'd kept a safe distance apart the whole time we walked together which felt incredibly awkward. I was surprised he hadn't asked about Ellis.

When we sat down, the theatre became dark and the screen came to life. I put the bowl of popcorn in between us. I didn't want to start eating it until the movie began, but Matt had different plans. He'd already scooped up a handful and began eating it.

* * * * * *

"Whenever we were in town we used to come to this ice cream shop, Mel, remember?" Emily said when we entered the Jolly Ole Ice Factory. The scent of cinnamon hit my nostrils when I walked in. It was familiar, definitely. It was our go-to places when we were visiting home.