Chapter Seventeen

I lied.

I was exaggerating.

He wasn't naked, per se. He was wearing jeans, it's just the top portion of his body was bare. At first, I wanted to quickly look away because as far as I knew, Jon knew of my status. I don't even think Luca knew yet.

I knew Jon was well built based on good guesses from his clothes, but I didn't know he looked this good. I wanted to feel every ripple on the flat plains of his stomach. He was a dream that I wasn't sure I wanted to wake up from. His hair was damp, matted to his forehead and he had a towel around his neck wiping away the wetness still gathered on his chest and face.

"You're staring." Luca whispered in my ear.

I jumped, blushed, and looked away. I was and I hate that Luca saw it. "You need to put on a shirt."

Jon still hadn't taken his eyes off me. "Luca, I need to talk to you for a second."

"Let's talk inside. We can't leave the lady standing out here, yeah?"

"Of course." Jon opened the door wider. "Come on in."

I walked inside surprised by the décor of his home. It was so modern with its appliances, standard furniture, and various personal pictures of what I assumed was his family. The first picture I saw was of Jon and Luca and it was from when they were younger, I'd say their late teens in high school. Luca had his arm around Jon and they were smiling, not directly looking at the camera so the picture was taken of them off guard.

"Your home is nice." I said.

Jon grunted his agreement. "Luca, my room please."

"Is everything okay?"

Jon forced a reassuring smile my way. "Everything is fine." He dropped the smile when he turned to Luca and pointed to the door that led to his bedroom. "Now."

Luca didn't know what was going too apparently because as he walked into Jon's bedroom he was looking confused. Then they left me alone and confused even more. I went to the couch and took a seat. The warm and friendly Jon was gone. Maybe it was because I was in his personal space and this was the type of man he was. Okay, this plan was stupid and I had to leave. How would I get back to my car? We were at least ten minutes away from the bakery where it was parked.

I thought about walking, but any other plans were put on hold when my cell phone started to ring. I quickly answered it. "Hello?"

I should've checked the ID. "I miss you."

"Now is not the time to talk about this, Ellis." I nervously peeked at the door to make sure Jon and Luca were still in the room. "I have to go."

"When is the right time? I've given you a week! When will you meet me half way?" He shouted through the phone so loud, I had to pull the phone away from my ear.

"Lower your voice. Where are you?"

"I'm at our home waiting for you to come back. Melinda, I need to see you." His voice broke and it tugged my heart.

I closed my eyes to keep the tears threatening to spill over at bay. "I know. I need to see you too, but we can't now. I can't—"

"Mel . . ." His voice cracked. "Please let me see you or at least tell me where you're staying. I called your sister, your mother, and they said you're not with them. Are you with a friend? At least tell me that."

I sighed. "I'm staying with Emily."

He let out a deep breath. "Good. Good."

Jon's bedroom door opened and both of the men walked out. "I'm sorry about that. I see that you made yourself at home."

Without taking my eyes off Jon, I spoke to Ellis. "I've got to go."

"Who are you with? Why does it sound like a man?" He was becoming furious again. "Where are you?"

"I'll talk to you later."

"Mel—"

I hung up.

"Were we interrupting something?" Jon asked.

I started to answer, but then my eyes wandered to Luca. He wasn't wearing any expression as he kept his eyes locked on the floor. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine."

"No. It isn't." I rose from the couch.

"I need to go. You two need to talk." Luca mumbled, still looking at the floor as he rushed to the front door and left.

"What does that mean?" I turned back to Jon. He was standing next to the couch, his hands shoved into his pockets.

"He means we need to talk, Melinda."

"About?" I prompted.

He sighed and raised his head to meet my gaze. "What're you doing here?"

Could he know the real reason? No. I hadn't mentioned it to Luca and I hadn't made it clear what I wanted from him just yet. I figured I'd play the dumb card some more until he told me. "Again I ask, what do you mean?"

"You have a husband and this is inappropriate."

I gulped past the lump in my throat. "We haven't had sex. I thought we were friends."

"We can't be friends."

"Excuse me?"

"I know why you're here, Mel."

He was vague with me. Did he know about my plan? "You do?"

"Yeah."

"How're things going between you and Ellis?" He asked and somehow he managed to get closer to me.

I took a step backwards, towards the front door, but he stepped closer. "That's none of your business."

He crept closer. "I think it is."

"No it's not." I argued. I kept walking backwards until my back hit the front door. The coolness seeped through my dress and caused goosebumps to form on my arms, but the temperature wasn't the reason why my nipples hardened. Arousal blossomed in the depths of my stomach as Jon pressed closer, his chest touched mine, and I felt his breath on my skin. This was so not apart of the plan.

"Melinda, I like you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know you like me too. Otherwise all those times you came to see me at the bakery gave me mixed signals."

It was true, I did like him, and I haven't admitted that until now. I also knew I couldn't give in to my feelings because of Ellis. Anger flared in my chest because Ellis didn't think like this when he was with Kaya. "What do you want, Jon?"

"The better question is; what do you want?"

"I want you to take me to bed. Now."