Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

            “I do-” He interrupted me.

            “When you do. She who bears the Taijitu symbol will be the one who will end the chain. The original will rest and the world will be safe, once again.” I rose my eyebrows at him – he was delirious! “My time is nearing and it cannot stay here without a guardian. They have failed and now she seeks a new host. Your grandchild will be one of them. Give the stone to your mate when the time is right. She will guide it to The Guardians and they will know what to do.”

            A flash of bright light danced across the room and it transformed into my room. The one where I was staying temporarily. Where I'm writing this now.

            The man isn't here, but he's saying something. And one day, I'll remember and write it down.

            Smiling at the entry, Lila realised that Papi had written that ages ago. He'd held onto the stone for over fifty years – there was dedication right there!

            Looking around, she realised that all she could see was endless sea. Papi had told her to come here. She'd read it in the diary. Everything added up to endless rivers and where could she think of a place like that? Land's End. And that what she and Logan were doing here, and reading the final letter from Papi.

            “Li, you ready?” Logan asked, as he placed himself beside her. Nodding, she placed the notebook next to her and extracted the envelope. Because of the strong wind, she was being careful. If the letter blew away, they were in a tough spot.

            Thankfully, she managed to get the letter out and opened and was able to read it. It felt extremely heavy... but the paper was thin? She felt Logan's arms slide around to her waist to hold her close. Taking a deep breath, she started to read aloud the letter.

            “Dearest Lila, my sweet granddaughter,

            If you are reading this, then you must have read the majority of my journal and I must have passed. I knew when my end was coming and so did the mysterious man I met in my twenties. You must be wondering, how did my Papi know? Well, being a carrier means several things.

            Your lovely Mamaw was a prophet. Destined to guide you down the right path, but we all know you'll follow the path you want to. It's how she knew a lot of things, however, once you finish your task, Mamaw will no longer have her powers. I wouldn't feel bad, I think she'd like to not know things once in a while.

            As for me, I was destined to carry the jewel. I soon went on a journey to learn about it, but didn't record it. The man I met told me it was dangerous, and I learnt way. That jewel holds an incredible amount of power. The ability to control the undead, the ability to become immortal... it holds all the traits of every supernatural creature out there. It's hunted by many, and wanted destroyed by many.

            The man was right about you destroying the jewel. I bet you are sat near the ocean, right? You've been following the records of water? I thought so.

            I'm writing this to you, because I know it will help you. You don't want the jewel, do you? The man told me you'd go through some extreme lengths and that you, and your loyal mate, would end up wanting to destroy it. Get rid of it. And that's why I led you to water.

            There is no way to completely destroy it. But what that man did, was hide it in a deep, hidden cave where no one would enter. And he hid there for a long time. That jewel had never seen the light of day until I showed it. If you saw the entry, you saw that he said something to me.