Chapter II: Light in the Darkness - Awakening

A/N

Second chapter...sorry it's been a while. I just started Boot Camp right after I finished Chapter 1. So I apologize for this taking so very long; so without further ado, my second instalment of Valiant Hearts III.

Valiant Hearts III

Chapter II: Light in the Darkness – Awakening

An empty void filled with darkness... slivers of light seeped through the shadows. The Girl's consciousness drifted throughout the darkness of her mind.

Was this a dream? She didn't know, what was there for here to dream of. The only memories that she could recall were those of her waking in that snow covered world and... defending herself?, is that the correct term to use. Or was fighting a more suitable term for what she remembered. Her mind told her she was being threatened, so the obvious response was to eliminate the threat.

That's what her instincts told her to do, to defend herself from any threat... So why did she have a feeling of... deep regret, as if she did something horrible. Why was she feeling it now, she's felt nothing up until now.

During that whole battle with that man and woman, the Girl felt nothing. No pain, no anger, no remorse; her instincts were all that led her in that fight. Yet now the girl felt wrong. Why now? What changed in the unfilled darkness that was her mind?

All of a sudden the slivers of light that drifted lazily throughout the Girl's consciousness began to descend more rapidly into the darkness, as if reacting to a change in her mind. She had noticed the small fragments of light before, but didn't pay them any mind until now.

They fell, the Girl thought, much like the snowfall from that world she first awoke in, Hollow Bastion...

What?

Was that the name of that snow covered world she was in? How did the information come to present itself from the depths of her empty mind? As far as she knew, she could only name the most common, or basic of objects in the world around her, but a specific name for a particular place...where was that information coming from.

Suddenly, the Girl realized that the shards of light that were drifting around here had to be coming from somewhere. Their presence didn't seem natural to the Girl's consciousness.

She instantly found the source of these fragments of light, looking up into the depth of her mind she saw; there at the very edge of her mind was a large body of light, just barely touching her mind. The slivers of light continuously fell from the mass of light...Like snowfall. The Girl mused.

Curiously, the Girl's consciousness reached out to the closest shard of falling light.

Immediately upon contact, the Girl's mind flashed with images of three women; a redheaded warrior, a powerful blond sorceress, and a brutal dual-wielding brunette.

The three women stood in a corridor surrounded by beings of Darkness, creatures that craved destruction and hearts. They were the Heartless, and the three women were about to be overwhelmed by these corrupt beings.

Flashes of light emanated from the center of the mass of shadows. The three women struck out at the Darkness and fought back wielding weapons of light to combat the darkness, Keyblades. A weapon the Heartless both fear and desire.

Withdrawing herself form the fragment of light, the Girl reflected on one more piece of information that confused her.

Another piece of information she knew, but had no memory of how she obtained such specific knowledge.