Ripples of Change

Assignment 4

Vexare was still and emotionless as more and more visions of the capitol became clear to her as they approached the station. Towering spirals of glass rose up in all different directions, some even went side ways to make translucent archways illuminated by the city lights. There were so many different colors and so many people littering the streets. All she could do was stare. If she could have picked one word to describe the capitol, it would have been “overwhelming.”

What was worse was when Vexare saw the children. The children that were there being dragged around their mothers while others marveled at the numerous tents and goods, their eyes flickering with joy. Her blood began to boil as she thought of all of these children who didn’t have a day of trouble in their lives. They wouldn’t spend one day in fear of being offered as a license to slaughter other children. They wouldn’t know what it was like to grow up poor and hungry, slaving in the mines or on the street just to survive another worthless day. The only experience they would have was of the frivolous delights and succulent fruits the capitol offered in abundance along with the peculiar, yet stylish fashions and whirlwind of celebrations and color. Vex hated it, yet she could not stop staring as the train jolted to a halt.

She felt Avery beside her moments later, and she chose to ignore him. “You almost look excited.”

Vexare snorted in response and shoved past him, eager to get on with it. Nyx came up next to her and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. “I know all of this has got to be hard for you to see, but I need you to make it into the building without any disruptions,” she whispered in her ear. Vex stiffened at the woman’s touch, but managed to relax herself and focus. The time was nearing.

When the doors to the giant, black steamer opened, a mass of people erupted in applause to greet Avery and her. A daring flicker of a smile danced across her lips as she took in the fact that they were cheering for her. That was something Vexare had never gotten to experience, and for a moment, her hatred slipped away. She soaked in the glory, and the people’s excitement. The world didn’t hate her here; they didn’t know her story.

As they walked across the street to the capitol building, she spotted a group of young boys smirking at her and making inappropriate gestures to one another. She was surprised at herself even when she winked back in response. After all, the goal was to get people to like you so you got sponsors right? “Nice touch,” Nyx interrupted with words of praise.

Once inside, she was herded by what she was told was a team of stylists into a separate room from Avery. A sleazy woman with long, red hair and in a tight-fitted leather dress and high red, stilettos met her gaze evenly. “Finally, they’ve given me something to work with!” she exalted, walking sassily toward Vexare. “You’ve got such natural beauty hun; I just wonder where you’ve been lurking because your hair looks like you’ve been bathing in mud! Let’s start by giving you a good wash.”

Vexare was surprised by the pampering, and she leaped at the potential for a good bath. Remembering her manners from before the streets, she introduced herself. “Thank you, I’m Vexare by the way.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Lenore. Now see yourself undressed and into the tub. We’ve got lots to do before you’re ready for the chariots. I’ve got something special for you this year. None of that usual hocus-pocus.”

Vexare obediently did as she was told; she certainly wasn’t the type to be shy. The bathtub was huge and foaming with white bubbles, and it welcomed her body into the hot steam. Despite this, she only received a moment’s relaxation. She was speechless as more women came to bathe her, scrubbing all the dirt out of her grimy hair and fingernails. A few of them started to scrub her so hard she thought they’d rub her skin raw, but as she exited the bathtub, her skin felt smoother than she could ever remember.