Interview with Maya known as Mokbook

Start from the beginning

The whole country is truly unique. It's a place of unexpected wonders filled with rich history, culture, breathtaking scenery, welcoming people and mouth-watering food, they have it all! The one year I had originally planned to stay quickly turned into six! And I know that many of my experiences there will be remembered as some of the best times of my life.

 It's a place of unexpected wonders filled with rich history, culture, breathtaking scenery, welcoming people and mouth-watering food, they have it all! The one year I had originally planned to stay quickly turned into six! And I know that many of...

For example, above is a crazy sports day event at the high school I taught at for three years. And yes the boys are holding the pole up (it's not attached to anything) while one boy climbs it and places a cap at the top. In the US/ UK/ AUS etc. this would be a lawsuit waiting to happen, but in all the time I taught there, not once did anyone get injured. The students had fun, were competitive, all while caring for the safety of each other. The school culture there was extremely impressive.

OMG they would never let my daughter or her friends at High School do this!

Haha to be fair they only let the boys do this. All the girls' activities were very safe.

Now that isn't fair! But I'm not letting my daughter have a go! Although I'm half tempted and then not!

I would've wanted to participate as a teen, as an adult... I'm glad I don't have to ;-)

I could write pages more, but let's stop here for now... might start to bore some people.

I think it is great that you have found a place that enthralls you, whenever I have gone back somewhere, I have tended to be disappointed and not found one a special place that I really calls to me, time and time to go back. Although I do like some parts of the far east.

I have a feeling you will go back, as after living there you still love it and return regularly. It definitely appears to have many things that are unique.

I hoping to go again next year to the last place on my bucket list, Hokkaido! Still trying to decide if I want to go during winter or summer though... skiing or brewery hopping... decisions decisions ;-)

That's a hard one - maybe you should let people vote and choose lol

I noticed you studied martial arts and won medals at National Level, which is incredibly impressive. What type of martial arts did you study?

Reply: I think it sounds more impressive than it really is ;-) I have a few medals for Shotokan style Karate which I studied for four years or so, after that I branched out a bit and dabbled in Taekwondo, Aikido, kick-boxing, regular boxing and Kyudo (which is traditional Japanese archery).

https://tokyobling.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/dsc_0303.jpg

Wow talented girl. Those bows are big! My daughter enjoyed trying out archery but the traditional English ones are a fraction of the size of the ones you used.

The bows are pretty long! Archery is great, done a bit of that but what's different about Kyudo and what I loved about it was that it was a sport/ martial art that promotes finding inner peace. Their philosophy is if your heart is in turmoil it will reflect in your bow and shots, meaning you'd likely miss the tiny target.