"Yeah, so naturally the first thing that comes to mind is school conference dentists" he replied with a flicker of a smirk. "Where did you tell your parents you were going today?"

"I said I was hanging out with Daisy," I admitted. "But my mom's going to a Saturday tea with her fake friends today, so she won't think too much about me during the day."

"Convenient," Jonathan responded.

"I thought so."

We walked a few more feet before something occurred to me. "Hey, we never learned how to st--" I halted my words, attempting to keep my sudden blush under control. "Um, how to stage kiss. We were supposed to learn how for the balcony scene."

Jonathan shrugged. "So? Do we need to?"

I was startled, and my blush quickly returned. "We're doing the scene in front of the class, Jonathan!"

Jonathan shook his head, turning to face me reassuringly. "That's not what I meant," he said. "I just meant they don't have to teach us. I can show you."

"When did you learn how?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know, a couple years ago. There was this girl and boy that Mr. Harrelson was trying to teach and I was just sitting around watching. They were pretty slow learners, so I got a thorough instruction."

I fidgeted with my hair. "Well, it'll be a long time until I get it down too, then," I stated. "I'm beginning to realize that I'm pretty incompetent at anything that relates to acting."

"Nah, you'll be good at this," Jonathan countered. "Here, let me show you."

My poor stomach turned to still more butterflies when he took my hand and turned me around to face him. "Okay, so basically I put my hand somewhere on your chin or jaw or whatever, and cover our mouths with my thumb. Then I, you know, kiss my thumb."

I was filled with great admiration at Jonathan' lack of awkwardness over this. I'm not sure if two people typically get less awkward with each other once they start dating, but that didn't seem to be the case with me.

He stepped a bit closer to me. "Okay, so."

I tried to ignore my stomach. "What am I supposed to be doing?"

"Just stand there, I guess," Jonathan answered. "Figure out what you're doing with your hands."

I stiffly put them in my coat pocket.

"All right, and I'll just..." he cupped my chin in one hand. I struggled to remember how to breathe. "And then I just..." I became aware that his face was a fraction of an inch from mine.

I suddenly stepped back, nodding rapidly. "Okay, seems good," I said, my words abnormally rushed. "Seems pretty simple. Should work fine on Wednesday. Thanks for teaching me."

Jonathan looked off to the side. "Yeah, no problem," he responded, then coughed. "How about we sit in a coffee shop for a few minutes? The play isn't for more than an hour."

"Okay," I agreed shyly, and followed him to wherever he was going. In Seattle, coffee shops might actually outnumber humans.

As I walked alongside him, I replayed the previous scene in my head, attempting not to cringe at my own awkwardness. Why couldn't I be as easygoing as all those popular girls at school?

Jonathan's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Does this look okay?"

He had stopped in front of the window of a small cafe. I nodded. "Looks great."

The first sight of the cafe I was greeted by was pleasant: a wood fireplace, cushioned armchairs, a faded world map on the wall. The second was less so.