Chapter 9

I'd barely sat down at my lunch table before a green notebook was slammed down in front of me, blowing up loose strands of my hair and causing me to let out an awkward half scream.

"Big news!" Daisy proclaimed, plopping down next to me. "I'm throwing a Valentine's Day party and I need your help."

I looked at her in interest. "Really? You're throwing a Valentine's Day party?"

Daisy shot me an expression of pure contempt. "Not the kind with lace hearts and creepy cupids hanging from the ceiling," she told me. "It's going to be on Valentine's Day, but it'll be Fourth of July themed."

I laughed. "What?"

Daisy started flipping urgently through her notebook. "You heard me," she said. "I'll have sparklers and watermelon and patriotic colors and such."

I tried my best to hold back my laughter. "I really love you, Daisy," I grinned.

"I know," she replied breezily. "Now what I really need help with is the guest list. I can invite about twenty fiveish people, and I want to have half girls half boys."

I leaned over her shoulder as she talked, glancing over her list in the making.

"Add Adriana Shaw and Wren Killingsworth," I advised. "They have a lot of guy friends that they can get to come."

Daisy bobbed her head happily. "Good idea," she agreed, making a note. "Should I invite Robbie, too?"

I shrugged. "You can if you want," I replied. "But he's not going to come."

Daisy was unperturbed. "He will if he knows you're going," she said, a sly glint in her eyes.

I kicked her ankle. "He doesn't--"

"I know, I know, he doesn't like you," Daisy interrupted flippantly. "Or at least you don't see it."

"You're delusional."

Daisy raised her hands in surrender. "Hey, I'm just making innocent observations. Here, I'll just put him down and we'll see what happens."

I calmed down a bit and watched her write. Gabriel Murray...Jenni Clay....Aurora Mencken...Jonathan Brandt...

Hold up.

"Um, Daisy?" I interrupted pointedly.

"Hm?" She looked up at me with wide, innocent eyes.

"Since when are you inviting Jonathan?" I sighed.

Daisy put on a good act--a dismissive wave of her hand, a harmless expression--but not good enough for me. "Oh, I just thought--"

"Enough with the matchmaking already, Daisy!" I snapped in annoyance.

Daisy stuck out her bottom lip and widened her eyes pathetically, tipping her head to one side with her best puppy face. "Oh but Zara, you're just too cute with too many people."

I shook my head, but felt myself quickly losing my resolve to be annoyed. "Well I'm sorry, but you're going to have to get over that," I told her.

Daisy sighed dramatically. "Okay, but at least let me invite Jonathan," she said, looking at me hopefully. "I actually do want to meet him."

"Fine," I consented. "But good luck getting him to show up. Something tells me Jonathan's not the party type."

Daisy rocked forward on her lap, giving me a look so sweet it could only mean trouble. "We-ell, I was hoping you could--"

"No," I interrupted.

"Come on Zara!" she protested. "It'd be weird if I asked him. I don't have his phone number and no one actually knows him except you."

I didn't say anything for a second.

"You owe me," Daisy insisted.

"Excuse me?"

Daisy tossed her hair over her shoulder haughtily. "Seventh grade, I asked Preston Jacobs if he liked you," she recounted. "You told me you owed me but I never reminded you."

"Until now," I responded, turning my eyes to the ceiling.

"That's right," Daisy smirked. "It's time to pay up."

I should have known I was fighting a losing battle as soon as I saw those manipulative eyes.

                                ***

I thought the world might tip off its axis when I saw Jonathan already in his desk when I got to Shakespeare.

"Jonathan Brandt, in class two minutes before the bell?" I gasped as I approached him. "What could this mean?"

Jonathan pulled a small notebook from his bag and started flipping through it unconcernedly. "I had to talk with Robinson about my how I haven't turned anything in or whatever."

"Hm,"was all I said in reply, deciding to stay on his good side.

Jonathan raised his eyebrows. "What, no lectures on working harder today?" he inquired. "Given up on me that fast?"

I tapped my fingers on the desk. "Give me ten hours to take a nap and I'll get back to you," I responded. "I just got done fighting the battle of Bull Run."

Jonathan just went with it. "Which one?"

I felt a wry smile come to my lips. "Doesn't matter, I lost either way."

"Assuming you're the union."

I swore my heart swelled every time he got one of my references. But that's weird, so I just rolled my eyes. "Yeah, and Daisy's the confederacy. Stirring up trouble."

Jonathan thought for a moment.    "Daisy. The talkative girl you hang out with."

"That'd be the one," I affirmed, sighing dramatically. "And you can blame her for the stupid question I'm about to ask."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I just finished this chapter today because I'm really good at procrastinating. :)

I put in another picture of Daisy because she's so cute.