Chapter 2

He wasn't sure where he was or why he was there, just that he knew he was in some sort of dream, or perhaps having a vision. In this dream it was dark and damp, leading him to suspect he was in a cave. Cedric looked around until he heard faint sounds coming from deeper within the cave.

 Turning a corner he saw a brazier lit with a black and green flame. It thrashed about like a wild horse having just been caught, angry and frightful. As he stared at it, Cedric felt himself, or a part of himself, being drawn towards it. He moved towards it and started to reach for it, almost like he was hypnotized. At the last minute he shook his head and snapped his hand back. Something about this flame sent chills down the boy's back.

 "Fascinating, isn't it?" Someone said behind him.

 Cedric whirled around to be met with only a face, the rest of their body being covered in shadows. They had empty yellow eyes and short brown hair which spiked upwards at the front. A sneer was plastered on his face and Cedric noticed a small x shaped scar on the boy's left cheek. He looked a bit older than Cedric, maybe three or four years at the most.

 "W-who are you? What is this?" The mage gestured at the fire. "And where am I?"

 The boy snickered and ignored the first question, choosing only to answer the second.

 "This... this is something incredible. It takes the basis of what a necromancer does but amplifies it to extraordinary proportions."

 "What do you mean?!"

 "Still not getting it, huh? Well I guess I will leave that detail out for now. Leave you coming back for more, eh? Until next time Cedric."

 The stranger waved his hand and suddenly the whole world seemed to melt away.

 Cedric woke up in a cold sweat, shaking and breathing hard. That dream, or vision, took a toll on him.  However it had showed him some insight on his problem. That boy talked about necromancers and their powers, so he must have something to do with why they were attacking all of the towns. He also talked as if he knew Cedric personally, but the king couldn't seem to recall who they were, although there was something faintly familiar about him.

 Whoever he was, he obviously wasn't good. Far from it.

 Those black and green flames confirmed it. Just what was the purpose of it, besides amplifying a necromancers powers?

 Shaking his head, Cedric dismissed it for now and got ready for yet another exciting day of sitting on a throne and listening to people squabble. He got dressed in his steel armor and strapped his sword across his back. He combed his hair down to make it look presentable then, taking one last look in the mirror, started on his way towards the throne room.

 As he walked through the hall Cedric glimpsed out the large windows, noticing that it was still dark out, with the sun just beginning to rise. He must have woken up early. Luckily the lanterns on the walls were always lit with magical fire, which saved him from having to stumble around in the dark like a blind man.

 As he continued through the halls of the castle, he felt a presence nearby, but couldn't tell exactly where. Then he noticed a movement to his right. He grinned, there they were.

 The king unsheathed his sword just in time to block an opposing strike. With a grunt, Cedric pushed the attacker back and readied himself.

 The opponent skidded to a stop, and when Cedric saw who it was he grinned.

 Standing in front of him was the fifteen year old Zack, clad in leather armor that was dyed a dark blue, his now black hair being spiked in every direction. He grasped a simple iron sword, much like the guards used, and his ice blue eyes screamed determination. Usually he hated to fight, but after the attack on Sor'real he wanted to train harder and be prepared for next time.