Homesick

I waited until we were well into our sandwiches until I brought up my mum. A lump was slowly forming in my throat, but I knew I had to ask.

"I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but when do you think I could talk to my mum again?" Oli sighed, and I instantly felt uneasy. He stood up, and walked over to the TV that I noticed hadn't been switched on since I arrived. "I should have shown you this when you got here, but I guess I was nervous that you'd panic and run away." The lump was rising in my throat. Why would I panic?

He switched on the TV, and changed to the news channel. The national news channel. Suddenly I felt lightheaded.

"Teenager Shannon Robinson is still missing. Police have been searching the area she was allegedly abducted from, but nothing has been found. We have managed to get an interview with her mum, who is obviously quite distressed." Before I knew it, my mum was on the screen.

"Shan, wherever you are, just know that we're doing everything we can to bring you home, and we're not giving up hope of finding you."

Tears started to well up in my eyes.  Oli turned off the TV and wrapped his arms around me. Trying to stop crying, I buried my head in his chest in a hope this would stop the tears. After staying like this for a while, Oli reached in to his pocket and handed me my phone.

"You can ring your mum if you want, to tell her you're okay. Look, I'm not going to force you to stay here. If you want to, I'll drive you home. Or you can stay with us. It's completely up to you."

The phone was still in his hand. I took it and dialled my mums number. After one ring she picked up. "Hey mum." I said; I couldn't think of anything else to say. "Shan? Is that you? Oh my god I've been so worried! Where are you?! I'm coming to get you right now!" I felt the familiar lump forming in my throat.

"Mum, I'm fine. I'm with a bunch of really nice guys who are looking after me, and I want to stay with them for a while. I promise I'm fine, you don't need to worry."

"Are you insane?? I've been worried sick thinking you were dead, and you want to tell me you're staying with a load of guys I don't even know? I don't think so!"

I didn't know what to say, so I handed the phone to Oli and motioned for him to talk to her. "Hey, this is Oli. Shan's been staying with me for the past couple of days and we'd really like it if she stayed with us a while longer." I couldn't hear what my mum was saying on the other side of the phone, but I got the idea of it.

"No, she's perfectly safe and well. I've bought her new clothes. Yep. The reason why we want her to stay is that she's been tracking guitar for our new album. You didn't know she could play? That's pretty shocking, since she plays it all the time." And with that, he hung up. For the first time all day, I laughed. Oli smiled too, and handed me the phone.

"Now that you're staying here out of choice, you can have this back," he smiled. "Oh, and are you ready? We've got a long day of recording ahead." I nodded, and we both headed outside to meet the rest of the band.