Chapter 24: Regret

Chapter 24: Regret

Warren knew the moment he pulled into his driveway that something was wrong. The mild anxiety he had been feeling was building to a complete panic attack. He needed to see Brooklyn, he needed to see her right now!

But, looking his house, he knew that wasn't going to happen. All the lights were out, nothing moved in the quiet night and, he knew without being told or even needing to look, the house was empty.

Still, he couldn't prevent himself from leaping from his car and almost sprinting up his walkway.

His hands were shaking from worry and it took his a few tries to get the key in the lock. No sooner than he succeeded that he was bursting into his house, calling out Brooklyn's name.

It didn't take him more than a cursory examination to confirm his suspicions. He was turning and running back out of the house, back into his car, and speeding back to the MCRC complex before a minute was up.

XXXXXXXXXX

“But...but...that makes no sense!” Brooklyn cried out as Victor smiled at her. “That's impossible!”

“What is, my dear?” he asked her kindly.

“Who are you?” Brooklyn asked him desperately realizing all at once that she had no idea. “You can't be working with Intrebari. You're the MCRC leader! You're our president.”

“I'm not working for Intrebari.” he corrected her. “I am Intrebari. One has nothing to do with the other.”

“Yes it does!” Brooklyn shook her head as if she could deny what her eyes and ears were telling her. “Intrebari is nothing but senseless murderers, MCRC is trying to stop them.”

“Now, I won't deny that we've murdered,” Victor agreed calmly, “but to say they were senseless is just an insult. Their deaths were necessary.”

“For what?” Brooklyn demanded to know. “There's no excuse to forgive child murder, Victor!”

“We did it in the name of science.” Victor assured her. He gave a nod to Alin who was waiting behind her. “It shall be the very same cause you will die for.”

Brooklyn felt Alin's hands clamp down on her arms and began struggling in earnest. There was no way she was getting on that table. She refused! She knew what would happen, she knew what would become of her.

What would become of her unborn child.

“You see Brook,” Victor smiled at her like she was his favorite niece, “you are very special to me.”

“Liar!” Brooklyn shouted as Alin, who seemed completely impervious to anything she did to him, maneuvered her over to the examination table and slammed her back onto it.

Before Brooklyn could fling herself off the table, the blonde was there strapping Brooklyn's wrists onto it. Her fingers were sure and quick and Brooklyn couldn't prevent them from securing her.

“You are special.” Victor insisted, he looked almost insulted at her accusation. “You see, Brook, most of the women we've gotten a hold of are already late into their pregnancy. They're not quite so easily spotted when they're early in their pregnancy like you are. That makes you special.”

“What do you have against demis?” Brooklyn shouted as she thrashed against the binds that held her. Tears of fear were coming into her eyes. Not just for her life; she was terrified for her child as well.

“Absolutely nothing.” Victor looked surprised at the question. “I adore demis. We need more of them in the world.”

“Then, why...” Brooklyn found she couldn't finish the question. Part of her wanted him to never answer her, part of her wanted things to go back to how they were. But a voice in her head, a voice that sounded suspiciously like Jack, demanded she find out.