Chapter 18: Belly

Chapter 18: Belly

 “And these are the paper records.” Kenneth opened the door to the room and Brooklyn walked inside, nodding approvingly. Nothing was piled in haphazard paper towers nor was the room dark and unwelcoming.

“Does Eisenhower keep the records for MCRC here as well?” Brooklyn asked as she made a note for Jack on her clipboard.

“Indeed.” Kenneth nodded. “Everything for MCRC are in files A-S, the rest are for The Galleria. Everything is scanned into the computer for easier access of course.”

“Wonderful.” Brooklyn smiled at him. “You're being very helpful, Kenneth.”

“Thank you, Brook.” he smiled back, pleased with the compliment.

Brooklyn opened her mouth to ask about where he would like her to start her employee interviews when the sound of laughter behind them stopped her. Kenneth and Brooklyn both turned to see Warren doubling over from laughter while Eisenhower stuttered out around his own guffaws, “'...34 and you still believe in leprechauns?'!”

Warren laughed harder at hearing the line making Brooklyn shake her head.

“I do apologize, Miss Meyers.” Kenneth said formally. “I truly hope you don't hold Eisenhower's off color humor against the rest of us.”

“It's all right, Kenneth.” Brooklyn told him calmly. “I've known Eisenhower a long time, this isn't unexpected. Besides, it looks like you have things pretty well in hand around here.”

“I do my best.” Kenneth's spine went straight in pride. “The Galleria is a special project of mine and I do enjoy working for MCRC. It's a very fulfilling role.”

Brooklyn nodded in agreement.

“You know any good Man from Nantucket jokes?” Warren asked, still chuckling.

“Are you kidding?” Eisenhower laughed, putting his arm around Warren's shoulder. “I practically invented them. Hold onto your sides for these, War.”

“War?” Brooklyn repeated incredulously but neither man paid attention to her.

“I hope you are enjoying your statue.” Kenneth said, turning her away from the two men behind her and walking her away from them. As a gentleman, he couldn't bring himself to let her hear the vulgar Nantucket jokes that Eisenhower was beginning to recite at the top of his lungs.

“It's very lovely.” Brooklyn assured him as they left Warren and Eisenhower behind. “I can't wait to get it home and put it in a good spot.”

“I recommend a place that gets a good deal of sunlight.” Kenneth smiled. “You should see the way it refracts a sunrise at just the right angle...beautiful.”

“I've no doubt.” Brooklyn nodded. “How long have you been working with Eisenhower, Kenneth?”

“Just a few years.” he smiled. “I was brought in shortly after Eisenhower was made division head. I handle the more...mundane tasks of operation.”

Just from the way he said it, Brooklyn knew that he paraphrasing Eisenhower. “They may not be terribly exciting by they are incredibly important.”

Kenneth smiled down at her thankfully. “I do hope you are enjoying your trip to New York.”

“Very much.” Brooklyn went with the subject change without comment. She would be sure to put in a word to Victor about Mr. Holt's loyalty and dedication. Personally, she felt he was already a better head than Eisenhower, it was only a matter of making it official.