Chapter 8: Smiles

Chapter 8: Smiles

 “And over here is where I keep all of my special potions and chemicals.” Dr. Fontane laughed as he pointed to a cupboard that was half open with its contents thrown wherever he pleased.

“Um, Lester.” Brooklyn looked down at her clipboard, worried. “Those are supposed to be safely stored, labeled, and organized.” She lifted a page, checking the safety regulations she had printed out just for this.

As a scientist, Dr. Fontane had access to a great many things the other heads didn't. That also meant that he was responsible for them. Brooklyn knew that he was disorganized, she didn't realize he was being so careless.

“I know what they all are.” Dr. Fontane waved away her concern.

The undercover part of their mission had finally begun and Brooklyn, Warren, and Mr. Ozera were doing a cursory check of Lester's work areas. Judging by the slightly concerned, if a bit amused expression on Mr. Ozera's face, Brooklyn could tell he was just as concerned about toxic chemicals being treated so casually.

“Yes, but nobody else does.” Brooklyn pointed out as she walked to the cabinet. She bent down and picked up a glass bottle that the label had been completely ripped off of, the liquid inside was perfectly clear. It was impossible for her to tell what it was. It could be as harmless as distilled water, it could be a hydrochloric acid solution. There was no way to be sure.

“That's just some...uh...” Dr. Fontane's confident face faded to confusion. “I don't think that was there yesterday.”

“Lester!” Brooklyn looked at him horrified.

“Really, Lester.” Mr. Ozera shook his head sadly. “I expected better than this.”

Dr. Fontane laughed sheepishly as he scratched his head. “S'not my fault.”

“This is exactly your fault.” Brooklyn glared at him, putting the unknown liquid back into the cabinet. “You should know better. You're a scientist, Lester. You've had training to deal with these kinds of things.”

“I don't do chemistry all that often.” Lester shrugged. “I'm more of a research and development kind of scientist.”

“All the more reason to treat these chemicals carefully.” She snapped at him, picking up a bottle from the bottom shelf that had turned a dirty brown with time and neglect. The liquid inside looked like it had curdled slightly to Warren.

“I expect this problem to be fixed before your inspection is over, Lester.” Mr. Ozera said, his hard edge of his voice leaving no room for excuses.

“Aye, Victor.” Lester sighed in defeat. “I suppose you're right.”

Brooklyn looked like she wanted dearly to chastise Lester more, but she put the bottle back down and shut the cabinet and continued going through the lab.

“She's adorable when she's doing that.” Warren smiled at Mr. Ozera as Brooklyn spotted some beakers that had been inexpertly cleaned and began laying into Dr. Fontane for that.

“The woman would scold the devil.” Mr. Ozera agreed calmly. “I'm starting to think this inspection was long overdue.”

“I'm pretty sure he needs an assistant more than any of the other heads.” Warren shook his head as Lester tried to explain the beakers away to Brooklyn who was having none of it.

“I'll have Brooklyn look into hiring him a new one.” Mr. Ozera said, easily falling into the idea of Brooklyn as his assistant. It wasn't the first time she had performed such duties for him. “I'm sure she'll find him someone...durable.”