Chapter 23: Head

Chapter 23: Head

 “Wh-what do you mean 'dead'?” Brooklyn couldn't stop herself from asking in disbelief. She knew exactly what those words meant, yet somehow they didn't make any sense. “He can't be dead, we just saw him.”

“How did he die?” Warren asked as Crispin walked over to Kieth who had turned pale.

“I'm cool.” he told him, trying to smile.

“They found him in the Galleria, his throat cut.” Jack told them sitting down heavily.

Could it have been a robbery?” Crispin asked, turning from Kieth who was trying to pull himself together. Kieth was still young and the news was even more unbelievable to him.

“Nothing was touched but Eisenhower.” Jack shook his head.

“Intrebari?” Brooklyn suggested. “It makes sense they would want to get rid of him if he was our traitor. But how did they find out we knew?”

“The cops said he was killed some time this morning.” Jack told them. “If it was Intrebari, I doubt they know that we know. Most likely, he was becoming too much of a liability.”

“Which means our lead is a bust.” Warren cursed. “And we're back at square one.”

“Maybe not that far, but it is a set back.” Jack agreed. “Alright, we're going to tear Eisenhower's life up. I want him looked at from every angle. Any secret, I want brought out. Crispin, get a hold of Ilia. I want her tracing that money trail while it's still hot and I don't care how you get her here to do it. Warren, go find Joe and Kai, bring them to me. I'm putting them to work in New York immediately. Any questions?”

“Yeah,” Brooklyn spoke up, “what about me?”

“Brooklyn, go home.” Jack told her definitively. “I can't use you and it's late. You'd be better off sleeping.”

“I agree.” Warren smiled at her. “You should get some rest. We'll be fine here.”

“W-wait!” Kieth spoke up from the corner. He looked slightly ill. “That's it?”

“What's it?” Warren asked as they all looked at him curiously.

“We're just moving on? Just like that?” he looked disturbed at their actions. “You just found out a friend of yours is dead? Don't you...care?”

“Eisenhower was hardly a friend.” Jack told him, his voice stern and steady. “Moreover, he was a traitor. He knew what he was getting into when he got involved with Intrebari, I have no pity for him.”

“But...that seems so cold...” Kieth seemed to deflate slightly.

I told you.” Crispin signed with a sad look in his eyes. “It's not so thrilling in real life, is it?

“No one likes a know it all, Crispin.” Kieth said but the words were weak.

“Kieth, you go home as well.” Jack instructed. Kieth was still young enough for the sting of death to be this hard and Jack took pity on him. “You'll go back to work in the offices tomorrow.”

Crispin expected Kieth to look disappointed about that but he just nodded solemnly.

“I-I got to go make a call real quick.” he announced suddenly and rushed from the room.

“Poor kid.” Warren shook his head sadly. “Did he know Eisenhower?”

“He's just compassionate.” Brooklyn smiled at the closed door her old assistant had escaped through.