Chapter 15: Empty

Chapter 15: Empty

 “Alright, let's do this.” Brooklyn said, looking up at Warren like a soldier prepared to go to war.

“I don't know...” Warren looked her over, unsure.

“Warren, you promised.” Brooklyn insisted in what was supposed to be a stern way but he just found adorable.

“Brook...” Warren shook his head. “Somehow, the romance is just all gone.”

They were standing in their hotel room, enjoying their day off that Brooklyn had insisted they use to start making their baby. Warren had to admit, his lover never did anything halfway. She had dragged him into her room after Victor left, telling them to enjoy their Sunday but he had a few meetings to attend to before he could take some time off. He didn't need either of them for the meetings so they were supposed to be having a good time.

Spending a day loving Brooklyn was exactly Warren's idea of a good time. However seeing her coming towards him with the look on her face that he was sure surgery patients had, the face that just said 'alright, let's get this over with', he just couldn't bring himself to go through with it.

“Warren.” Brooklyn looked confused, as if she wasn't sure anymore what she was doing. She knew Warren wasn't rejecting her, not really, but he wasn't making love to her either. She wasn't sure how to react to the situation.

“How about we watch some movies or something?” Warren suggested instead. “I'm down for chick flicks. I even enjoy a few of them.”

“Warren, I want you to have sex with me,” Brooklyn said, looking almost angry, “and you are suggesting we watch chick flicks instead? What is wrong with this picture?”

“Brook, I love you more than life.” Warren promised. “And I'm as excited about the baby prospect as you, but this just feels...wrong. Somehow.”

“I thought guys liked sex anytime, anywhere.” Brooklyn crossed her arms unhappily.

She had spent the better part of the morning preparing herself for this both mentally and physically. She was ready, she was eager to do it, why was he saying 'no'?

“Call me a romantic.” Warren leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Let's just enjoy our day off. We don't even have to watch chick flicks. I'm down for action, horror, documentaries; whatever floats your boat.”

“I'm not such a librarian that I watch documentaries for fun.” Brooklyn looked away making him wonder if that was exactly what she did.

“Chick flicks it is then.” Warren pulled her in close as he walked them out of her room and into the common room where the big, flat screen TV just waited for them. “Are you into pure romance and drama or are you a romantic comedy kind of girl?”

“Well, honestly, I don't like either one.” Brooklyn admitted, wondering how she had lost control of the situation so quickly. But she didn't fight him as he sat them both on the couch. He put his feet up on the coffee table, pulled her in closer so that she was curled in on his side, grabbed the remote and began flipping through the channels, trying to find the on demand movies. She had to admit, she was very comfortable and didn't really want to move.

“So what are you in the mood for?” Warren asked, looking down the list of comedies and seeing nothing to catch his interest.

“Well, I like mystery movies.” Brooklyn admitted. “Especially old ones in black and white.”

“Hm...” Warren went to the 'old movies' section and started browsing. “I've never seen one but, why not?, let's check it out.”

And just like that, with Brooklyn still unsure of how it happened, Warren got her to spend the day on the couch laughing with him, watching old black and white films, and eating more junk food than she really should. They talked as the hours passed, they would neck and cuddle when a movie lost their interest, and, for a few hours, Brooklyn allowed herself to stop thinking about all the things that still required her attention.