Chapter 3: Dinner

Chapter 3: Dinner

 There was something incredibly annoying about wearing khaki pants and a simple polo shirt Warren thought as he tried to adjust his belt a bit. Not that kahkis were particularly uncomfortable, though polos could get hot and stuffy, it was just that having to wear a particular piece of clothing was bothersome. One of the great things about working for Jack was that he was extremely lax when it came to dress codes. As long as you did you job and did it well, Jack didn't care what you wore.

However, a fancy dinner in a french restaurant meant Warren couldn't wear jeans or sweats or plain t-shirts all of which were comfortable and not at all suffocating.

He sighed as he got out of his car and looked over at Memoire. It was a nice place, fancy and exclusive. He couldn't wait to leave.

Resigning himself to a long night with unpleasant people, Warren walked inside and looked around.

He was obviously under dressed he thought with a grin as he gazed at the men in suits and the women wearing their nicest dresses. Somehow, that made the polo and kahkis much more comfortable.

“Name, sir?” the maitre d' asked with a slight French accent. He was very good at hiding his displeasure at Warren's state of dress.

“Uh, I'm with MCRC.” Warren said looking the skinny man over. He wondered how a person shorter than him could still manage to look down his nose so well.

“Of course, sir.” the man made a note on the podium he was standing at before giving him what Warren supposed was a grin but looked more like he had a toothache. “This way, please.”

“Alright.” Warren followed the man, taking the opportunity to look around as he did.

The place smelled divine, the soft smell of food not overpowering while the soft glow from the candles one each table and the chandelier on the ceiling brought a sort of golden glow to everything.

As Warren watched, a waiter dressed even better than him, came out of the kitchen carrying two plates that barely had any food on them.

Rich people, he thought shaking his head, why did they pay so much more for so much less food? He would have to remember to go through a drive-thru on the way home.

“Right in here, sir.” the maitre d' said opening a door and standing aside to let Warren pass.

“Thanks.” Warren grinned, walking in as the stuffy man left. He wondered if the maitre d' ever tripped over anything with his nose so high in the air like that.

The thought immediately left his head, though, because Brooklyn had arrived ahead of him and was talking to Mr. Ozera. And she looked like an angel.

“Wow...” Warren whispered to himself as the door shut behind him and the pair turned to him.

He wasn't sure what shade of pale pink she had on, but it reminded him of a soft summer sunrise. It was the first time he had seen her in anything but brown or black and the color really made her eyes glow. She had even let her hair down, halfway, for the occasion and her brown hair brushed a point just past her shoulders as a pair of earrings glittered on the side of her head somehow making her seem even more otherworldly.

“Ah, Warren.” Mr. Ozera said drawing Warren's attention though his eyes never left Brooklyn's pretty face. He liked that she still wasn't wearing make up but for a bit of shimmer to her lips. The natural tones of her skin was more than enough for him. “Come on in. We have some time before the others arrive.”

“You look very handsome.” Brooklyn smiled sweetly. “Would you like some sparkling cider? I ordered it for you.”

Warren grinned as he walked forward and nodded. “Sounds great. You look...beautiful.”