Chapter Six

Percy's POV

     Before, Percy's mind felt empty. Now, his head felt cramped, filled to top with conspiring and murderous thoughts. But he could also feel all the plants growing, the dirt groaning as more and more of its life-giving nutrients is getting sucked out of it. It was, well, really useless to Percy, he didn't need more sounds in his head. Was his head still even his? Every minute that passed, his thoughts were becoming less and less his own, and more Gaea's cadence of a voice with the churning of earth playing as background noise.
    All his days were filled with waiting, stuck with that megalomaniac composing his mind like it was an orchestra. But the orchestra seemed quiet in a brief intermission. He crawled his way back to the puddle in the corner.
"Call Annabeth Chase, New York," he strangled out. His voice didn't sound normal. The blurry image of Annabeth soon appeared. She seemed to be leaning over a boat to look into the mist.
       "Percy? Where are you? We followed Blackjack and he led us to a boat but it was a trap," Annabeth yelled over the churning water.
       "I'm still waiting in the same place, but I'm under the camp! Annabeth, please, hur—" he was cut off by a new flood of thoughts. He clasped his hands over his ears, clawing at them.
      "Wait, what? Percy! Are you o—" Annabeth started to ask. He released a growl, one of an animal and swiped at the mist, ripping the image of Annabeth to pieces, his hand now soaking. He looked at his hands with eyes that were no longer his own and saw not water but blood. He stared at it. His lungs felt empty and his whole body was trembling.
The process is complete, he said...she said...they said. I think it's time to pay our friends, shall we? We may. Gaea busted down the door and fled like water.

Reyna's POV

It's been a day since Reyna and Nico found the doors. A day since she had been plagued by the vision of herself. But it's been hours of the both of them hacking away mercilessly at the door. There was nothing physically behind it, but inside there had to be something.
"Maybe we have to find a key?" Nico wondered. Reyna huffed.
"But we have no time. It's almost been a week! We have to hunt down this goddess and find our way to help Percy, and—"
"Hey, it's okay. We'll get through this. And right now, it's specifically this door," Nico said, cutting her off, "I wish we could open and just be done but—"
"Was that a prayer?" Both Reyna and Nico jumped and looked above them. Sat atop the doors was a woman with not a single hair on her snow pale skin dressed in silver and jewels across her bare head. "Well? Was it?," she asked.
"Who are you exactly?" Nico asked. The woman looked uninterested in the question.
"I'm Litae, goddess of prayer. And I have observed that you've been dealing with my sister, Atë," Litae said as she floated down.
"That's who we've been dealing with?"
"Yes, yes, the goddess of ruin and guilt, an annoying trait, I might add," she replied.
"So are you going to help us," Reyna asked, gripping her sword, "or help her?" The goddess laughed richly.
"One of my sole purposes is to undo her wrongdoings. That and prayers," she replied. Reyna took a breathe to reply, but Litae interrupted with a gasp.
"Oh, she's here. Stay here, young demigods, I'll take care of it. Ugh, she is really infuriating me this millennia." She walked out into the middle of the open space and waited. Reyna heard nothing, but apparently Litae did. She leaped high in the air and drew a dagger, it's blade shaped like a lightning bolt and made of a blinding silver, and threw it to her left. They heard a scream of agony. Atë stumbled into the clearing. Through gritted teeth she asked, "How did you find me?" Litae laughed.
"It's not hard to find you, after all these years," she said. Atë pulled out the dagger from her chest and tossed it aside. She lunged for Litae, her grimy hands latching onto Litae's unscathed face. Atë growled in frustration, "It's not working." Litae grabbed both of Atë's wrists and pushing them aside.
"Your attempts to find things I feel guilty about are feeble. We both know I regret nothing," Litae replied. She summoned another dagger and drove it into Atë's heart, or at least where it would be. She picked Atë up and threw her at the door, the walls and doors collapsed onto her and then she vanished into thin air. In her place stood a dark portal. Litae put her knife away.
"Well, I'm finished here. Farewell," she said and she was gone. They stared at the swirling portal. They walked towards it. Reyna kept staring at it while Nico poked at the rubble with the tip of his sword. His eyes joined where Reyna's were.
"So...shall we go in?" Nico asked. Reyna felt uneasy, but it was their best bet. She nodded. They jumped in and were transported to the unknown.

Annabeth's POV

       The iris message was abruptly cut off by Percy slashing his hand through it, but instead of it disappearing into a gentle mist, it burst into a harsh spray of blood, splattering itself over Annabeth's clothes. She took a trembling breath and turned around to her friends.
     "Annabeth..."
     "It's fine. We have to go back to camp, immediately!" Annabeth said raising her voice. Thalia's eyebrow arched up.
     "What? Why?" she asked.
      "Percy's there. Underneath camp. And it looks like he's been taken over completely by Gaea! She could destroy the whole camp and everyone in it!" Annabeth exclaimed.
      "And then all of New York..." Jason added quietly. Silence ensued.
     "Well, maybe she won't. She is the earth, after all, why would she destroy herself?" Hazel pointed out. Annabeth pointed to her, silently agreeing.
      "She must just want power again, defeat the gods and all of their offspring, then using one of most powerful ones, still living, as the weapon so we can't fight back. But power doesn't come from one person, it is universally distributed to every individual. Percy may have powers that are immensely strong, but we can fight back because all of us united, are stronger than the whole world."
      "Dang. Well, I'm inspired! Let's go," Leo said. They all got back on the chariot, Annabeth on Blackjack, and took off towards camp. When they got there, the whole camp was already flooded with water.