Chapter One

"Let us be grateful to the mirror for revealing to us our appearance only." — Samuel Butler, Erewhon

ΩΩΩ
Recap from last book:

"There! In that town!" Piper shouted. Piper, the rest of the seven, Thalia and Grover were chasing Percy all day. They are currently in front of the town of Larden (A/N No, it's not a real town) .Piper had never heard of this town but if it's there, it's there. The seven demigods and Grover examined the town sign. It was a wooden sign about the size of a car, resting on the hillside. The olive green paint was chipping off and faded. In pinkish red lettering read, "Welcome to Larden".

"What kind of name is Larden?" Leo asked, laughing at the "lard" part of the name. Typical Leo. Nobody responded to his stupid question and starting to look around at the surrounding area. It seemed abandon. Everything was dull and a light wind blew the grass on the hills. The day was gloomy, but no rain. The dirt path was free of footprints, other than theirs of course, so nobody has been in or out of the town.
"Come on. We should keep chasing him." Annabeth said. Piper noticed that Annabeth has been pretty quiet since Gaea told her that she herself had to kill Percy to kill Gaea. Piper could see why. If Jason was possessed and Piper had to kill him, she would have a hard time too.

"Yeah, good idea," Hazel said. They jogged into the town and looked around. There seemed to be no one in this town. The white stucco buildings were run down and had spray painted pictures on the walls. The town gave off a bad vibe. It made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on edge. She took in her surroundings once again. But all she saw was trash blowing across the cobblestone streets. They starting walking pass all the buildings. She looked up at the tall buildings and saw nothing but old balconies and rusted air conditioners in the windows. Piper stopped and looked through an iron gate door. She squinted to see through the dark. She saw a figure coming closer. And before Piper could even scream, the gate opened, and in the process, ramming into her face.

Annabeth's POV

Annabeth couldn't believe what she had to do soon. She had been a mess since Percy was taken host by Gaea. Annabeth was done with people she loved being possessed or taken away. She was so mad but she didn't have enough time to do anything about that because her thoughts were interrupted by a loud bang. Annabeth looked up from her feet to see Piper laying on the ground, blood gushing from her nose, it was definitely broken. Percy stood above her with one hand on the iron gate that he must of swung open to hit Piper square in the face. Annabeth looked into Percy's eyes. A pang of hopelessness went through her as now his eyes were half red. Before they had more sea green left in them, trying to dominate over the red, according to Piper's description. The shrill sound of Riptide turning into a sword sounded and echoed in the streets. She gripped her dagger tight. Leo's hands went ablaze. Frank loaded his bow. Hazel set her sword. Piper raised her dagger. Jason flipped his coin to summon a spear. Thalia pulled out an arrow. Grover got his pipes ready, the ground ready the spring roots. Look at them. Friends ready to kill a friend. Oh how far they've come. (A/N Yes, the song). Someone lunged.

"No!"

It was Jason. His face showed rage and determination. His spear collided with Riptide in a cross. Sparks flew from Jason's body.

"Get out of my friend, you witch!" Jason growled. And tried to slash at him/her.

"Jason, stop!" Piper shouted. She wiped the blood off her face and stood up. She gripped her dagger and slashed it at Percy's arm. It left a gash that bled profusely. He hissed in pain. He was about to fight back, but he stopped. His sword dropped to the ground with a loud clang. His eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fell to the ground. Percy laid there for a little until he started coughing and pushed himself up, his eyes closed. Everyone had there weapons up.