Chapter 17

The next day, Tessa sat in the lounge after her Literature class, working on assignments from her other courses. She had barely gotten any sleep the night before, her mind reeling from kissing Will. She felt infinitely guilty, knowing that she had cheated on Jem. Will hadn't shown up to Literature, and she had been very relieved, not wanting to speak to him.

Though, Tessa hadn't been able to shake the feeling of his lips on hers. She had laid awake in bed all night, remembering his touch. No matter what she seemed to do, he followed her everywhere. Will's piercing blue eyes and perfect smirk floated in her head, and she was getting tired of it. Even when he wasn't with her, he was still bothering her. Tessa snapped out of her trance, when someone took a seat across from her. Jem.

"Hey." He smiled. "I was looking for you."

"And you found me." She grinned.

Jem chuckled. "So, how was the rest of the dinner last night? Who did you go home with?"

Tessa's smiled disappeared as she remembered. "I uh went home with Will."

He looked surprised. "Oh, I thought you didn't like him?"

"I don't." She lied. "He just offered."

"Well that was nice." Jem smiled.

Tessa looked away from him, remained silent. She felt very guilty for lying to him. This wasn't her - she didn't lie to the people she liked. I have to tell him, Tessa thought to herself, I'll feel horrible if I don't.

"Jem, I have to tell--" She started.

"Tessa, I didn't think I'd see you here." A voice spoke from behind her.

Tessa recognized the voice immediately, and froze. The person then took a seat beside her, and she dared not to look at him. Will.

"Hello." Will greeted Jem, who smiled at him.

"I didn't see you in Literature this morning." Jem commented, not sounding rude.

Jem could never sound rude, which was something Tessa really liked about him. He was one of the kindest people she had ever met.

"I wasn't feeling too well this morning." Will replied simply.

Tessa didn't say a word as the two boys spoke. They all talked for about five more minutes, when Jem then said he had to leave. He quickly gave Tessa a kiss, and then left, his kiss making her feel even more guilty. Then, it was just her and Will. He moved so he was sitting across from her, in Jem's empty seat, but she refused to look at him.

"Tess." Will started.

"Don't call me that." She replied, still not looking at him.

Fine, Princess." She could just feel his smirk.

"Why are you upset?" He questioned.

Tessa willed herself to look up at him. Will was looking at her, hard, and she couldn't tell what he was feeling.

"Why am I upset? I kissed you and I'm dating Jem!" She exclaimed.

"You knew that we were going to kiss at some point, Tessa." He replied. "Don't act so surprised."

"Why?" Tessa asked. "Why did you kiss me?"

Will leaned forward, amused. "Why did you kiss me?"

"I asked you first." She narrowed her eyes.