Chapter 34

When Tessa walked into Literature the next day, she couldn't stop the thoughts of Sebastian that swirled around in her mind. After dropping Will off yesterday, she had met him for coffee again and he had made her laugh more than she had ever recalled laughing. Tessa wasn't sure if these qualified as dates, but she wasn't complaining. She could slowly feel herself catching feelings for Sebastian. It wasn't the kind of crush that consumed her - like the way she felt about Will. It was more of liking someone because they were your best friend and all you had ever known, if that made sense. Tessa didn't know how to describe it, only that her feelings for Sebastian were as calm as a pond, whereas her feelings for Will were as wild as the ocean.

All thoughts of Sebastian dispersed as soon as she saw that Will was already sitting in his seat. Tessa recalled his odd behaviour from yesterday. He had been so nice and funny all day and then suddenly it was almost as if he had flipped a switch. He had been so cold and off when Tessa had dropped him off at his frat house and she didn't understand why. That was the problem with Will; he was so hot and cold and it made her dizzy. She had thought that maybe they could actually be friends but clearly she had thought too soon. Tessa walked over and took her seat.

"Hey." She gave Will a small smile.

He only nodded at her and then returned to staring towards the front of the class. Ok then, Tessa thought to herself. Will was clearly in one his moods, and she thought that it was best to leave him alone. As class started, Will said nothing to her, not even when the professor stopped lecturing. This was strange, even for Will, usually he would have spoken to her by now. When class was over, he had hurried out of the room quickly before Tessa had the chance to say anything to him. She felt irritation rise in her as she departed the room. Why was he like that? Why couldn't they just have a normal friendship? Was that really so much to ask for?

But when dealing with a person like Will, Tessa knew that it was.

* * *

Two weeks passed.

Two weeks passed and Will was still ignoring Tessa, and she had no idea as to why. For the first few days, she kept saying hello to him in Literature and each day she was given the same response: a nod of acknowledge. Outside of that, Will didn't even so much as look at her. It annoyed Tessa to no end and she was dying to know what she had done. A few times she had almost screamed at him, asking why he was ignoring her. But she refused. Tessa would not be the first one to initiate contact between them again. If Will wanted to talk her, he could be the first one to speak. After the first few days, Tessa stopped acknowledging him altogether and if it bothered Will, he did not show it.

During this time, Tessa became much closer with Sebastian which she was not complaining about, but she couldn't help but wish he was Will. And she felt like a horrible person for thinking that. She had given him her favourite books to read and he actually had read them. They debated "Wuthering Heights" and "Pride & Prejudice" but Tessa found that Sebastian didn't have the same witty comebacks that Will had. She found herself doing this often - comparing Sebastian to Will and she hated it. Even when Will wasn't speaking to her, she still thought of him almost every second. And Sebastian was his own person. It was unfair for her to compare him to Will.

Currently, Tessa was sitting with Cecily in her bedroom, painting their nails for a party they were going to later tonight. Clary and Isabelle were off with Jace and Simon.

"I actually kind of want to go to this party tonight." Tessa said.

"Does have to do with the fact that Sebastian will be there?" Cecily smirked.

Cecily looked so much like Will when she smirked and a pang rang through Tessa from the mere thought of him.

"Maybe." She blushed. "I think I like him."

"Go for it!" Cecily exclaimed. "He totally likes you back. You two would be so cute together."

"You think so?" Tessa smiled, shyly. "I just don't want to wreck our friendship."

"Sometimes you have to take the risk." Cecily replied. "Make a move tonight at the party. Actually, I bet he will before you even have a chance."

A part of Tessa hoped he would, but a part of her was holding her back. And she knew that it was because of one person. Will.

* * *

"Are you going tonight?"

Will scoffed. "Of course I'm going, Jace."

"He could never miss a party." Sebastian grinned.

Will resisted the urge to glare at him annoyedly. Jace and Will were sitting in the living room of their frat house, and for some idiotic reason, Jace had invited Sebastian over. Will had to hold himself back from punching him in the face when he had walked into the house. He knew that he and Tessa were dating, or almost there, and the thought made him feel sick to his stomach. Tessa. Her name pierced his heart and he dug his fingernails into his palm. He hadn't spoken to her in two weeks and he honestly didn't know why. Maybe it was because he realized she deserved better than him and to ensure that he didn't ruin her. Maybe it was because he didn't want to love her, so he could move on. Will almost laughed out loud - there was no way he could ever move on.

He had no reason to feel upset that they weren't talking, he knew, it was all because of him. I'm doing this for her, Will told himself, everything I'm doing is for her. She'll thank me in the end.

"So, Morgenstern," Jace grinned at Sebastian. "What's going on between you and Tessa?"

Sebastian immediately smiled at her name, and it made Will clench his jaw in anger.

"Nothing. Yet." He added in. "I think I'm going to make a move tonight at the party though."

Jace clapped him on the back. "I'm proud."

"You have feelings for her?" Will heard himself say. He made sure to keep his voice even.

"Yeah, she's great." Sebastian smiled, a bit shyly.

She's better than great, Will felt anger flare up in him. She is the epitome of kindness and light and she deserves everything the world has to offer and I would gladly give it to her if I-

"Well, good luck man." Jace said, snapping Will out of his thoughts.

"I think she likes me so I'm not too worried." Sebastian grinned.

Will felt his heart sink at his words, and he forced himself look away from white-blonde haired boy. So this was what Tessa had been doing in the past two weeks: getting close to him. I'm doing this for her, Will reminded himself again. She'll thank me in the end.