Chapter 31

Days went by, after Tessa's episode with Will in Literature, and still her words haunted her. I don't love you, either. I could never love someone like you. She worried that she had been too harsh, even though she believed that Will fully deserved them. Still, she hadn't wanted to hurt him. He hadn't looked hurt or upset by what she had said so that made her feel a little better. The next day, Tessa had thought about saying something to him, but she had chickened out. Will hadn't said anything either - only looked at her emotionlessly. Tessa was dying to know what he was thinking.

The days turned into a week, and that week turned into three weeks, and Tessa and Will had no contact between one another. They only saw each other in Literature, and when all of them would hang out. When this happened, Tessa and Will both made sure to situate themselves as far from one another as they could. Tessa no longer attended the parties, no matter how much the girls begged her to. She didn't want to see Will with another girl, and she knew how pathetic that was but she couldn't help it. Most nights, she stayed at home studying or reading while trying to keep thoughts of Will out of her head. That was always her constant struggle: trying not to think about Will.

Tessa missed him more than she had thought she would. Even thought they spent most of their time fighting, she missed the way he would make her laugh, or the way his lips would twitch up in amusement when she said something funny. She tried not to think about how he may be doing the same things with another girl because the thought made her sick to her stomach. Tessa didn't ask Isabelle, Clary or Cecily about how Will was and they didn't offer any information. It made Tessa think that they were hiding something from her - that maybe Will had a girlfriend and they didn't want to make her feel bad.

Currently, Tessa was sitting in Starbucks across from Sebastian. He had asked her to go for coffee and she had happily agreed. She hadn't seen him since the party and was happy to be around him again. It was also a nice distraction from Will. Everything always came back to Will.

"You want to become a lawyer? That's really cool." Tessa smiled.

Sebastian smiled back at her. "Yeah, it's always been my dream. My mother is a lawyer so I guess I'm following in her footsteps."

"She must be quite proud of you." Tessa took a sip of her white chocolate mocha.

His smile faded and he sighed. "I don't know about that. It seems like whatever I do, she's never impressed. It's always been that way even when I was young."

"I'm sure that she's proud of you, Sebastian." Tessa replied, laying her hand on top of his. "You're amazing, how could she not be."

Sebastian smiled warmly at her, and suddenly Tessa wasn't so sure about not catching feelings for him. He was incredibly sweet and she swore that his smile could stop a thunderstorm. Will's face flashed in her mind then, and Tessa tried to the mute the voice in her head that told her that Will was much better. There was something about Will that was so intriguing and pulled her in. Wait, no. She needed to stop thinking about him. He wasn't here. Sebastian was here. Not Will, and Sebastian deserved her full attention.

Tessa quickly pulled her hand away from Sebastian's and looked away from him while blushing.

"You're cute when you're embarrassed." He teased, grinning.

"Who said I was embarrassed?" Tessa looked up at him, amused.

Sebastian chuckled while taking a sip of his coffee. "I could tell, Tess."

Tess.

She wished he hadn't call her that. The only person who called her that was Will, and for some reason, Tessa wanted it to remain that way. She felt that it was a special thing between her and Will, as stupid as it sounded. Tessa only looked up at him and smiled, fighting off thoughts of Will that never seemed to stop.

* * *

"What have you been doing these past few weeks? I've barely seen you." Jace asked.

Will shrugged as he lit his cigarette and took a large puff. He and Jace were walking down the street from the tattoo shop, where Jace had gotten another tattoo. He had dragged Will to come with him and he had begrudgingly gone. What had Will been doing these past few weeks? Trying to get a certain grey eyed girl out of his mind. Almost every night, he had been with a different girl to try to get Tessa out of his head, but it hadn't worked. No matter how many girls he had sex with or how many girls he was around, Tessa would just not leave him. It had been exactly three weeks since they had spoken to each other and Will missed her more than anything. He felt as if he was lost without her. As if his life had no meaning anymore. She had become his whole entire life.

"I've been busy." Was all Will said.

"With another girl every night?" Jace smirked. "That's a lot of chicks, even for you."

Will shrugged again, carelessly. "None of them mean anything to me."

When Jace said nothing, Will looked sideways at him. He could remember a time when Jace had been just like him - with a different girl almost every night of the week. Then, he had met Clary and Jace had never been the same again. He had fallen in love, Will had known even then, and he remembered feeling intense jealousy. Will had thought he would never be able to fall in love, and deep deep down, that was all he had ever wanted. And then he had met Tessa, and he knew that his life would never be the same again. Will had fallen in love with her on the very first day at the party.

"Well," Jace started. "I knew that much, but - hey there's Tessa."

Will's head had never turned so quickly before. His eyes looked inside of the Starbucks where Jace had gestured to. And when he saw her, his heart sunk. Tessa was sitting at one of the tables across from fucking Sebastian, her hand laying on top of his. She looked absolutely beautiful and happy, and Will felt sick to his stomach knowing that it wasn't him who was making her look like that. His feet wouldn't move from his spot and he only continued to stare at them. So she was with Sebastian now. Will shouldn't have been surprised - he should have known she would move on. Still, he felt his jaw clench and his whole body tightening.

"What between you two, anyway?" Jace asked.

"Nothing." Will lied, his eyes never leaving Tessa. "Absolutely nothing."