Chapter 9

He just gapes at her as if she'd revealed the biggest lie in his life. She watches him as it sinks in, but she can't help but stare at his cutie mark. She loves it. He hates it. He walks up to her. "How positive of this are you?"

She takes a deep breath. "Almost certain."

He sighs, still staring at her. He's silent for a moment. "We never finished our previous conversation..." he murmurs.

She smiles at him.

"I liked it," he says. "And I want to do it again."

She grins, and he tugs her to him, kissing her. She kisses him back. He pulls away, refusing to look at her. "What is it?" She whispers, afraid she's said something wrong.

He turns back to her, his eyes are wet. She gently wipes away his tears. "What if she wins? What will she do to you if she finds out?"

She smiles weakly. "I guess we'll have to figure that out, when the time comes."

"But... she could..."

She silences him with a gentle small kiss. "I'll be fine," she assures.

He smiles half-heartedly, and says, "I should let you get to sleep. Goodnight," he leaves he room. She sighs and heads to bed. She falls asleep easily, dreams of him consuming her.

~•~•~•~•~

He tosses and turns, unable to sleep. He's stuck on the fact that she could have died. He finds himself going to his rooms, and sitting silently in a chair watching her all night. His heart thumps, warm with his love for her.

~•~•~•~•~

Her eyes slowly flutter open, and she doesn't jerk under the covers or anything. She just smiles at him. He wanders over, brushing a hair from her face. She blinks, feeling only love and happiness. She had the loveliest of dreams. All about him. And her. Living happily ever after. She sighs, smile fading, as the realization hits that for them, there's no such thing.

"Were you here all night?" She asks.

He nods silently, playing with a piece of her hair.

She scoots closer, breathing in his musky smell. She smiles.

"There's going to be a ball," he says. "I ordered it in yesterday's meeting. I wanted something to hold to if I'm locked away. I guess I won't remember it if she-"

"Don't say it," she pleads.

His eyes soften. "I won't. But I'd like you to be near me. Obviously, you can't go with me, or the stallions will want to kill you." They share a grin.

"I'd love to kind-of-go-to-a-ball-with-you-from-a-distance." She laughs.

He smiles at her. "Next week. The week after that... I'll be around less from preparing for," he swallows, "war."

She sits up and leans into him, his breathing speeds. "It's okay. I'll be here, right beside you."

He doesn't reply, just flexes his jaw against her scalp. She wonders what he's thinking.

They sit in silence for the whole day, undisturbed.

~•~•~•~•~

Nothing happens over the next week. Ball preparations start, and Solstice spends some of her time while Sombra is at a meeting watching the slaves excitedly prep themselves. They're given showers, and tailored. They are required to remove any paint from their flanks for the whole week. She smiles at all the marks there actually is.

A tailor comes in. "Ready, Miss?"

She smiles. "Work your magic."

The tailor grins at her, and takes measurements. He leaves not too long after. She waits, and soon the dress is delivered, along with a hairdresser. She puts on the silky, gorgeous dress.