Chapter Four: Finding Ava

Reading furnishes the mind only with materials of knowledge; it is thinking that makes what we read ours.
-John Locke

It only took a few moments for her to find the space at the heart of the tree where two mighty limbs separated and pulled her into blackness. She tested it—slipping her hand in and out, just as surprised as she had been the day before when it came out whole. It was as if the tree itself was an illusion, a mask hiding a doorway to somewhere else.

    She had argued with herself the entire night as to why it was too scary to go back through. She challenged herself to see if it was a dream, only to come back full circle as to why it was in her best interest to stay away.

    At three in the morning she realized that even a sane person couldn't stay away from such a discovery and so there she was sticking her hand in and out of the trunk like it was the cool mist of a waterfall. Turning it over and finding nothing but her same old hand, she decided to step through.

    She didn't fall this time, though she admittedly stumbled a few steps upon landing. It took her a few moments to get her bearings and fully grasp the scene around her. It was the same—winter where her world was summer. She had dressed accordingly, being careful to avoid her mother as she stepped out of the house in her snowsuit and boots.

    "You came back." A voice startled her from behind. "I thought you might not."

She turned to see the boy she had encountered the day before, dressed in the same attire, he sat on a log not far from the tree. He wore a bow across his back and a dagger took the place of the sword he had carried the day before.

"Wouldn't you?" she said after a moment.

"Of course—" he said, standing and wiping his hands nervously at his leather pants. "It is just—you're a girl."

"I'm a girl?" she questioned. "And that makes me less brave than a boy?"

"Of course not—" he countered. "It is just that most of the girls here are much more reserved."

"Well, I'm not."

"I can see that," he replied.

She took one last look at him and then turned. She hadn't come back here to argue with some strange boy; she wanted to explore.

"Wait," the boy called after her. "Can I come along with you?"

He caught up to her and she stopped to face him. "Why?"

"This is my world—I know it better than you."

She let out an annoyed puff of air and turned to keep walking.

"Please—" he pulled at her arm. "I can show you things and it's not safe to be out in the woods alone. Most of this kingdom does not look kindly on outsiders."

She looked the boy up and down. He seemed genuine enough and the worry in his eyes told her that caution may be necessary after all. 

"What can you show me?" she asked, not willing to let him think of her as a coward.

"Ice fishing—" he rambled out. "Have you ever fished in snow?"

    "No," she responded, not really ever having fished at all.

    "It would make a nice meal out in the cold," he suggested.

    "I was planning to eat at home," she insisted, pulling her arm away.