Enter My Strange World

Why do people believe that if the day is sunny and the skies are blue, you are suppose to be happy? Or why do some believe that when the night comes, everyone outside is a wolf waiting for their prey?

The questions in my mind do not have an answer that is proven a fact, just opinions shared by others who wants me to believe that is the answer.

“Phi-bi,” I look down at my robot spider, “do you think I should be happy because the skies are blue?” The little robot doesn't respond. I swear I program the little spider to speak. “This is a serious question.”

“Everything is serious to you,” the robot finally responds. He crawls on top of my desk and stares at the little part of gears and metal. “What are you making this time? Another friend to talk to you?”

“Shut up, you know that when I talk to others, they think of me as weird.”

“No, the problem is that you never speak back. I remember you telling me that when a blonde girl asked you where she can find the bathroom, you simply did not respond. You told me that you hid yourself in your book. That is why they think you are weird, because you treat everyone like they are a ghost.” I never program it to speak so much, but he is right. Hiding myself in books and in my room won't give me any friends. Though, people are hard to talk to now so why not make a friend who can understand you.

I know, I sound lonely.

Knock! Knock!

“You can come in,” I say aloud.

The door opens and my dad comes through the door. “Your room is a mess again.” I look around and see that he is referring to the bluprints lying on the ground and the boxes full of gears, wires, and small gizmos. “Don't you ever want to go outside?”

“But I'm allergic to everything outside.”

“Sunshine and fresh air doesn't hurt you.” He comes in and eyes Phi – bi, “hello Phi – bi, is my daughter annoying you even more today?” I look at the small robot and and responds with a whistle sound going “Uh – huh.”

“What are you doing in here dad?” I ask.

“I'm here to tell you that we are going to have a new guest living with us.”

I sigh.

Another one?

“It's not a slut or a gang banger, is it?”

He laughs, “no, he's completely normal. His family went over seas and he didn't want to leave the town. I know his mom so I figured it would be okay if he stays with us until they come back.”

“What's his name?” I can hear the bitter tone in my voice.

“Helen Otis. He's a quiet fellow, so, I'm sure he won't be much of an bother.”

“And he's normal. This time it isn't someone crazy?”