Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

The rest of the humans helped me keep Max together. The Vampires all seemed to slip into a trance, going still as statues, their eyes glazed. I looked up when the door opened and Zach stumbled in with Arthur right behind him, the both of them fighting the catatonia. Zach went to curl around Sable, then slipped under.

Arthur came over and gently laid a hand on my shoulder. Then he slumped into a chair and was gone as well. I looked around, then met the gaze of Isaac, Henri and Jake in turn. I was just as lost as they were, but I would do my best to take care of them until the Vampires roused.

I didn't have to wait for too long. Tabitha and Tony perked up first and got to their feet, eagerly going to crack open the door to Katty's room. Zach came out next and quickly checked over Sable before glancing over at the girls. They had pushed their way inside, saying Katty's name excitedly and scolding Jason for not coming to get them.

Zach scraped a hand through his hair. He didn't look particularly pleased his Mistress was awake. He glanced towards me, then past me. I turned to find Arthur alert and staring at the door. He also looked concerned.

Jason slowly came out of the bedroom and shut the door behind him. Max was immediately out of my arms and pressing Jason for information. Jason gently pulled Max into an embrace. Zach broke the silence. Joan was slowly rousing, with Sable right behind her.

"Bad news?"

Jason slowly nodded. "She's awake." He looked up at the door when Logan came bursting in. The boy struggled to catch his breath.

"Where's my mom?"

Jason looked around the room. Emilio was coming out of it. Joan was gently shaking Chris to get him to wake up as well. "Katty is certainly undead now. The transition has wiped all her memories. Hopefully she'll get them all back in time, but for right now we'll have to-"

He broke off when Tabitha and Tony started screaming in distress. I heard Tony ordering Jason to bring blood. Fast. Arthur was already in the kitchen, yanking a bottle out of the fridge. He threw it across the apartment to Jason, who caught it easily. Jason gave Max a gentle shove towards Logan.

"Stay out for right now."

The both of them leaned against each other. It wasn't what they had wanted to hear. They just stared at the door as Jason disappeared behind it. I glanced up when Arthur laid a hand on my shoulder. He seemed stressed. Frustrated that there was nothing he could do. No way to help.

I leaned back into him and we waited until Tony and Tabitha exited the room, looking depressed. Then Jason came back out. "She just got some memories back. I guess it's just a matter of time for the rest." He nodded to Max and Logan. "I think we should keep these two away from her for now. At least until we know how she'll react."

I glanced back at Arthur. "Home?"

He slowly nodded and I led him back downstairs to our apartment. He was still agitated. His hands shook and he didn't seem to know what to do with himself. I grit my teeth and made an abrupt decision. I snuck up behind him and settled my hands on his shoulders.

I don't think he even realized what he was doing. He just suddenly had his fingers tangled in my hair and was using the grip to wrench my head back to expose my throat. Horror flashed in his eyes and he almost shoved me away.

I grabbed his hand to keep it in my hair, even if there was no strength in his grip. I left my throat open and kept my eyes down. I slowly dropped down to my knees in front of him. I could feel his hand shaking. He was warring with himself. Wanting so badly to take control and yet unwilling to force me.

"What do you want from me Master?"

His teeth snapped and I caught the flash of red even if I was looking at his chest. "Don't call me that. If you have to call me anything either use my name or sir."

"Yes, Sir. I'm sorry Sir. Please, tell me what you want from me." My gaze flickered up to his briefly. Just long enough to catch that he knew what I was doing. Knew why I was doing it. That he was willing to play along for as long as we would mutually benefit from it. And that this exercise would not be counted one way or the other towards our ongoing discussion.

As soon as that had been established I dropped my eyes again. I let go of his hand in my hair and was rather pleased when it didn't fall away.

His grip tightened instead, giving me a light pull. "Look at me." My gaze lifted to meet his red glowing eyes and held there. He smiled, showing off his fangs. It was such a strange look on him that a thrill of fear went through me. "You're afraid of me now aren't you."

I swallowed. I wasn't about to lie to him. "Yes, Sir. But I still trust you."

His smile faded and he let go of me, taking a step back. He studied me. Almost confused. His eyes suddenly narrowed. "Enough to give me your blood?"

I wordlessly rolled my head to open up my neck. He swallowed harshly.

"Enough to give me everything?" I licked my lips as I nodded, nervous about the question but sure he wouldn't push me down and rape me immediately. He lifted clawed hands to scrub over his face with a frustrated sigh. "On your feet. Get me a beer and then join me on the couch." He stalked away to sit heavily on the couch and turn on the TV. I jumped up to follow his orders.

He focused on the screen as I brought him the cold bottle and settled on my knees next to his feet. I knew all his attention was on me however. He took the beer from me when I offered it and popped it open to take a long drink. His gaze flicked over me before turning back to the TV. "Get comfortable."

I twisted to sit in front of the couch, my shoulder pressed up against his leg. I jumped when he suddenly touched my head, then leaned my head against his knee as he pet my hair. I relaxed easily. I was confident this would be the extent of what he would ask of me. And I was alright with that. I could already feel him slowly relaxing. He was once more in control, and it was making him feel better.