"Never mind then. Thank you for mowing the lawn; I did bring cake." He opens his mouth to say something but a voice from another room stops him.

"Hey, loser! I think the potatoes are dead already!"

"Oops!" Alyssa cringes, tip-toeing off. Joe shifts his weight a little and clears his throat.

"Would you like a drink?" He asks in his quiet low tone.

"That would be lovely, thank you."

"Red?"

I smile in reply. He steps aside, hands stuffed in his pockets nervously so step head into the next room, a dining/kitchen area where a grand round table sits, glowing in its golden carved glory.

I gasp when I see it.

"Oh my goodness..." This particular table is embellished with a rather glorious tree filled with birds, flowers and leaves with a slab of glass over the top. "I don't care if you hate the attention. . ." I call out to Joe in the kitchen. "THAT is amazing!"

"SEE!!" Alyssa and another girl call out.

"People would pay mega-bucks for these..."

"SEE!!" the girls call out again.

"I'll stop soon and I know you don't sell but I want one....to take home. Can you make an exception?"

He comes back in and hands me a glass of red taking a mouthful of his beer.

"You've inherited one." he tells me.

"Huh?"

"Your sister has one of my pieces."

"Really? Where?"

"In the corner of the lounge," Alyssa calls out. "She uses it as her drinks cabinet!" My eyes light up.

She has a drinks cabinet?

"Is it carved?" I asked instead. Joe nods.

"Score!" I smile, then cringe wondering if being excited about what I'm to inherit from my sister is a tad low. Joe hasn't reacted, though.

"Nina, Nina! Come and meet Lauren!"

I excuse myself from the embarrassed, shy man hiding behind his cap and beer and follow the sound of the laughter and loud chatting.

In the kitchen is Alyssa poking at the chicken in the oven and next to her, in a wheelchair is the other girl. A stunning blonde with a round face, bright eyes and a huge smile.

"You must be Lauren."

"That's me! The proud friend of a girl who can't heat up an already cooked meal."

"It's fine." Alyssa frowns poking at it a bit more, "We just have to scrape away the burnt bits around the edge."

"Oh, good grief." Lauren sighs, looking heavenward.

"Doesn't worry me. I've been a microwave meal gal, so anything home-cooked is great."

"Really? Anything?" Lauren asks in a flat tone, "You'll regret saying that."

"Some support would be nice."

"I'll support you when you're gagging on dry chicken and need a glass of water," Lauren says back. I laugh at this and take a sip of wine.

"Do you want some help?"

"No, no. Go and sit. Stare at the table. Get it out of your system now or your food will get cold during dinner."

I leave them to it and go back out where Joe is clearing the table.

"Dinner will be five minutes!" Alyssa calls out, "Just make yourself comfy and have a chat."