I could breathe a little better but still, I was like a fish thrown out of water, trying to gasp for air. As if she had done it a million times before, Mei wrapped supportive bandage around my torso and fitted a brace around my neck. She draped a robe around me and helped me put it on.

"This is all I can do for now. Rest. And for the meantime, we wait," said she, brushing the bits of dried leaves off her dress. A distressed look had taken over her docile features.

I caught a glimpse of the yard from the gap between the curtains. Hundreds of dead wraiths were scattered about the forest floor. A few still hovered aboveground. But most of the survivors took flight as soon as they had realized that they couldn't attack us as long as the invisible barrier protecting the whole mansion was intact.

What were those creatures, really? Where did they come from? What did they want?

My train of thought was interrupted by the sound of hurried footfalls coming from the corridor.

"Damn it!" It was Vincent who stormed into the drawing room, shaking furiously as he stood glaring at me. "I've been gone for what?! Like five seconds and you almost had yourself killed? And again!" he gritted the words through his teeth, his perplexing silver eyes burning with rage.

Ugh. Since when did he become my mother?

I started to open my mouth for a retort but shut it when he kicked the solid marble center table, sending it crashing against the rear wall of the drawing room. One of the paintings tumbled off the wall. I saw cracks slowly making their way up the concrete panel, the marble table crumbling to unrecognizable chunks.

I flinched. He was totally going to kill me for sure.

Swearing, he dragged one of the bronze-framed chairs, its feet grating angrily against the floor. He plunked it in front of me with a loud thud. Heavily he sagged on it, squaring his shoulders.

For some reason I felt guilty. I was about to apologize when he raised a hand to keep me from opening my mouth.

His fingers were cold and trembling when he closed them around my wrist, his jaws tensing as he muttered "Shut. Up," through clenched teeth. Breathing deeply, he turned to Mei. "How bad?"

"I cannot be sure. A few broken ribs, maybe three. One must have pierced her lung," she answered, automatically dropping her gaze.

Vincent closed his eyes, tilting his head back. Slowly, warmth seeped from his hand spread throughout my body, concentrating on my torso. The force intensified until it was starting to burn me.

Muffling a cry, I felt my chest shift as though the bones were realigning themselves on their own under my skin.

Snap! Snap!

I let out another scream. The pain was stabbing on my sides, worse than before.

"Stop!" I pleaded.

I couldn't bear it anymore. It was killing me.

Vincent turned away like he would rather be anywhere else than here, beside me. Nonetheless, he did not let go of my hand.

I wished he would. I wished he would just let me die so I wouldn't have to deal with pain and the fear of dying anymore. Tears formed on the sides of eyes as I stared vacantly at him, my body twitching involuntarily with agonizing torture I never imagined possible.

"Rosario," Vincent called, careful to not move a muscle. "Take over."

Gingerly, he let go of my hand. The pain doubled and Mei had to press her hands on my shoulders and on my forehead to keep me down. All I could do now was kick and cry silently, hoping that one of them was kind enough to end my suffering.