Chapter 18

"Are you ok?" Griffin moved into the prison and kneeled down next to Sharifa.

     Sharifa forced a smile. "Of course I am." She tried to stand up again, but instead broke into a coughing fit. Her hand went back to her chest. "I've been better." Griffin placed a hand on her chest. Sharifa weakly tried to pull away. "Watch your hands, Jack."

     "Relax." Griffin gingerly pressed on different areas of her body. "I'm checking for broken ribs."

    "We don't have time; we should get out of here."

     Griffin let out a sad sigh and pulled his hands away. "You've got a punctured lung. You aren't going anywhere, not by yourself at least."

     Sharifa let out a surprised yelp as Griffin scooped her up into his arms.  She wrapped her arm around his shoulders and he carried her out of the cell like a groom carrying his bride into a house. I followed behind. We made our way out of the building without a problem. There was one guard and Griffin had already taken care of him on the way in. We could her the man banging on a closet door as we passed.

     "How'd you manage that?"

     Griffin tapped Sharifa's nose. "I have my ways."

     Sharifa huffed with amusement. "And how, exactly, do you plan on getting the money and out of here before we're spotted?"

     "We're aren't getting the money." Sharifa tried to protest, but Griffin stopped her. "You have a punctured lung; I'm not going to risk your life for a little bit of money."

     "But what about staying here? What about rebuilding? We can't just-"

     "I said no, Sharifa. I won't lose you."

     "Jack..."

     We made the rest of the journey in silence. Once we got back to the tree Griffin placed Sharifa gently against it. She was still having trouble breathing. I looked at Griffin expectantly. He was pacing nervously.

      I crept closer to her him mumbling to himself. "If it's small enough it'll heal on its own, but if it's too large... What am I supposed to do? There's no where for miles where we could get medical help. Come one, Griffin, think..." It continued like this some time. 

     "Griffin?"

     Jack was at her side in a moment. "Yes?"

     Sharifa grabbed his hand. "We're going to be fine. You're going to get that money so we can build a house, and you and I are going stay here."

     "Sharifa, I can't just leave you here by yourself."

     "I'll be fine. Besides, I won't be alone; C-A-T will stay with me."

     "Mrow, Merow." I nodded in agreement.

     Griffin sighed. "But-"

     "Jack," Sharifa squeezed his hands tighter, "everything will be ok. We can't live under this tree forever, and that money is our only chance."

     Griffin shook his head but stood up. The bandages slowly unraveled until they were nothing more than a pile in front of us. "Fine. But if I'm sneaking back into that hell hole, I'm doing it right."

     Sharifa laughed, but soon found herself gasping for breath and clutching her chest again. "Don't make me laugh. Now hurry up and get going."