Chapter 16

"What does that mean?"

      I could tell Sharifa was playing with her fingers nervously. "Before my parents died, they were saving up money. We called it our "Rainy Day" fund. It should still be where I hid it."

     Griffin stood up enthusiastically. "Great! Let's go get it."

     Sharifa put her hand on his chest, leaving a light indentation in the mass of bandages. "I should do it alone. You're still weak, and I'll move faster on my own."

     "Oh, right. Of course. I'll be here when you get back." Griffin's voice grew stern. "If you're not back by sundown, I'm coming after you."

     "I wouldn't have it any other way."

      I followed Sharifa to the town; no way I was letting her go there by herself. She had transformed into a deer, and I had a hard time keeping up with her. Eventually, I gave up trying to keep up and instead followed her scent at my own pace. When I reached the edge of the town I found Sharifa still hanging around on the outskirts. She was nervously changing from one animal to another. She was pacing with apprehension. There was only one thing to do; go hunting. After finding what I had been looking for, I came back and plopped the struggling squirrel in front of Sharifa. I held it under my paw and waited for her to catch my drift. It took her a few seconds, but then she changed into one of the bushy tailed, tree rodents that I find so unflattering. I lifted my paw and released the panting squirrel. Following behind Sharifa, we made our way into town. It was still early morning so most of the people were still in their homes. Just to be on the safe side, Sharifa and I kept to the back streets and alleyways. I followed Sharifa right to the steps of an old abandoned church. It was small and unassuming; very different from the new one at the center of the town. I sniffed in disdain and followed Sharifa up the steps and into the decrepit building.

     She changed back into a human. "It should be right over here."

     She crawled over some fallen pews and creaking floor boards, making her way deeper into the church. The dust that had gathered there stuck to her body like flies to flypaper. Her form became a hazy outline as she maneuvered through the rubble. I don't know what it was, but something was making me uneasy; I had a bad feeling about this.

     Sharifa let out a shout of triumph and emerged from the wreckage with a large wooden box. "I knew I would be able to find it."

     I meowed encouragingly. Then started dragging her to the door. I wanted to leave there as soon as possible. Of course, as stated by Murphy's Law, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. It started with a young boy dragging his mother over to the church because he "heard something." Then it escalated at the woman's scream. Before we could even try to make a run for it the whole town was surrounding the church. Sharifa quickly hid the box and tried to brush of the dirt clinging to her body. It was too little, too late.

     "The demon!!"