Chapter 11

A few hours later Danny was bathed, changed and fast asleep in his bed. I watched him sleep, drawing peace from the easy way he slept, with no fear and no concerns. My finger reached over and stroked down the length of his nose and I felt warmth in my chest as his little nose scrunched up in response.

Yet, in the pit of my stomach, nerves started to enter in. Lucius would be here at any moment. It sent my pulse racing in a dizzying combination of excitement and dread. The waiting was worse than anything. Doubts entered my mind. Not about Lucius – I knew that I loved him with everything that I had within me. I wanted to take the next step with him. We had been together yet apart for so long it only felt natural that we would take this step together.

It didn't stop me from being the average self-conscious woman. I had only ever been with one other person and I knew that most of the memories I had of that time were fabrications. It almost felt like I was still a virgin waiting to experience it all for the first time.

A knock sounded on the door. I gasped, my head whipping around just as the door opened. And then there was Lucius, standing there in the doorway. As soon as he spotted me, he waggled his brows and beckoned me to him.

Snorting back a laugh, I gave one last lingering glance at my son and then rose to meet Lucius. I placed my hand into his waiting palm, hoping he couldn't felt the nervous tremble as we walked. We walked just a few feet down the hallway before Lucius pushed open the door. I sucked in a sharp breath of surprise when we entered the room. Flower petals had been spread over the floor, spread in a path up to the bed. Soft light filtered around the room before dozens of tactically placed crystals.

"Did you do all of this?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, of course." He replied, shutting the door softly behind us.

My heart thudded as I heard the lock click into place. The sound was so final. This was it. It's really going to happen.

Sensing my nerves, Lucius rubbed up and down the length of my arms. "We don't have to do anything. I have no expectations. After everything that has happened, the only thing I want to do is hold you close and spend time with you."

I breathed out a sigh. "And I want the same. I'm just nervous." I bit my lip and peered up at Lucius. "I want to be with you. When you were missing, I've never been so scared in my entire life. It's just ... it's been a long time since I have been this close to anyone. After everything we've been through, I am still a normal woman with insecurities. I still worry about being naked in front of you – I worry about letting you see everything."

Lucius leant forwards and pressed a kiss to my forehead. I closed my eyes and leant into his embrace, feeling the warmth of his body, the tenderness of his touch and the scent of his skin. He lips brushed across the bridge of my nose in a slow teasing slide and then his lips met mine. I shivered as I felt the warmth and tingles spread through my body at the simple touch.

He pulled away and held my face between the palms of his hands, keeping my head tilted up so I could look at nothing but him. It felt overwhelming, being this close and knowing what we were about to do.

"You have nothing to worry about, Savannah. I think you are the most beautiful woman I have seen in my life."

I blushed and tried to look away but his hands held me firmly in place. Lucius lips quirked up into the smallest of smiles but there was no denying the sincerity within his gaze.

"Any scars and marks you have are just badges of honour from the life you have led. I don't need or want anyone else. You are perfect for me and I love you, just as you are." Lucius declared earnestly, his eyes glowing as he spoke so I knew the truth of his words.