Chapter 5

Minutes turned into hours but still Lucius he did not return. Sensing my restlessness, Danny refused to leave my side for even a moment. When he started to yawn, his grip on my hand was unrelenting. We eventually arrived back at the throne room, the place where all of this trouble started. I sat in the same chair I had that morning, sitting vigil as I waited for more news.

With his ear pressed against my chest, Danny slept peacefully in my arms. He was aware of my concern for Lucius even if it didn't truly register with him. I wished for a moment I could be as oblivious as him. My entire body felt leaden, exhaustion was pulling at me with its every fibre, but I forced sleep away with every inch of my willpower. I wouldn't be able to sleep until Lucius was home.

No sconces had been lit; instead the only source of light was coming from the row of thrones at the front of the room. Watching the hell fire flickering within the crystal seats of power was oddly mesmerising. I found my attention drawn to them and my mind drifting away for periods of time. Yet, no matter how hard I tried to distract myself, my thoughts always came back to Lucius.

"Milady, you must come quickly."

Blinking, I lifted my head and stared at the meek young woman shaking my shoulder. I hadn't even heard her approach.

"Milady?"

"Yes?" I asked tiredly staring at the familiar young woman at my side. She had been the one who helped me into the beautifully big red dress, had witnessed my hungover state, and had not spoken a word of weakness to the other members of the household.

"His Lordship Castiel told me to get you. He needs you in the entrance hall right now." She stated meekly, her eyes on the floor the entire time she spoke.

"He's back. Lucius has got to be back." I muttered to myself.

Looking at the young demon before me, I smiled at her so wide my face hurt, not that she was even looking at me, before turning my attention to the body laid across my chest. "Can you take my son up to his rooms? It would mean so much to me."

"Of course, milady." The young demon bobbed a curtsey and then accepted my precious cargo into her arms. Danny whined in his sleep at the jostling but after a few moments he slipped back into his deep sleep, his head resting on the demon's shoulder while his arms and legs dangled limply. Pressing a kiss to his head, I then placed a hand on the young demon's shoulder. "Thank you."

And then I was running.

The staffs, which were busy attending to the cleansing of the castle, leapt out of my way. I called a hasty apology over my shoulder but my steps did not slow. Nothing would stop me. The smile on my face was unrelenting. Lucius was home – he had to be.

And then I was skidding into the entrance hall, my feet sliding across the polished floors as I attempted to slow my momentum. Castiel caught me before I could fall over. My cheeks grew hot even as I stepped out of his hold and brushed down my clothes.

"Where is he?" I asked while turning my head from side to side as I searched through the halls.

But there was no sign of Lucius's familiar frame. The entrance hall was oddly empty. There were staff here cleaning or making preparations for whatever event was happening next. Instead there was just Castiel and a young female demon.

At another time I would have remarked on the demon's appearance. I had seen demon come in many different forms during my visits to Hell but this young woman was beautiful in her own extraordinary way. Her face was bisected, one half covered in tan-coloured, blemish-free skin while the other was covered in emerald coloured scales which shimmered in the light. Despite the slightly feral quality to her, she was exotically beautiful.