Chapter 5: Dispiriting Agreements

Hermione walked to the Headmistress's office the next day after dinner, and gently knocked on the door. (She had been told the password in a letter from said Witch earlier in the day and had smiled as the words 'Lemon Drop' appeared on the paper in gold, before disappearing from sight.) The door opened to Professor Snape, and Hermione smiled. But watched in mild shock as he frowned and closed his eyes.

"Professor?" She asked, resting a hand on his arm. He shook her off with slightly more force than was needed, and without looking at the now offended Witch in the doorway, walked over to the window and looked outside. Hermione frowned and huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"Fine then." She whispered, and frowned even deeper as she watched the Wizard's head fall at her words. Walking over to the chairs she sat down and waited for McGonagall, who looked grave, to say something. 

"Severus, can you come and sit down please?" Minerva asked softly. And Severus spun around.

"Why? Why am I needed. Everything you are going to say has already been said to me. I have no reason to stay do I Minerva?" He snapped, dragging out his boss's name like he didn't want to say it, and Hermione was surprised when she noticed the glimmer of tears in his eyes.

"Professor? What's wrong?" She asked. 

"Nothing is wrong and you as a student are in no position to ask." He said, glaring at her. She stood up and walked over to him, feeling anger start to simmer, waiting for something, or someone, to boil it.

"What's your problem?!" She snapped. Hoping that he would be wise to not flare her up. He looked remorseful for a fraction of a second, his eyes glistening strangely, before he suddenly appeared cold once more.

"My problem is a 19 year old student who has forgotten her place." He said quietly, and Hermione wondered whether he actually believed what he said. Anger, however, changed her mind for her and her eyes flashed at the man before her.

"Fine. Well you don't need to stay do you. If I am such a hindrance to you. You may as well go back to your dungeons. Sorry I saved your life by the way." She almost shouted, but managed to stay somewhat calm. Adding the last part in sarcasm and anger alone. Were she thinking straight she would have never said such a thing, and regretted it as soon as she had. However, true to her Gryffindor nature, she didn't back down. And frowned at the Headmistress, who was leaning on her desk, her face in one hand, and some paper in the other. She looked up to the pained Wizard and waited for him to reply. Slowly, after what seemed like an age, Hermione got her answer.

"I never asked you to." He whispered, and both Witches gasped in surprise.

"Severus..." Minerva started, but was stopped by his hand.

"Don't Minerva. Just don't. I'll talk to you later." He tried his best to look Miss Granger in the eye, his life long practice at showing the emotion he wanted people to see cracking as he watched the young Witches eyes glisten with tears.

"Fine. Get out." She hissed. As a tear rolled down her cheek. He stepped towards her but she put up her hand. "Get out." She said even quieter. When the Wizard still didn't leave, she snapped. "GET OUT!" She shouted, and he was gone.

"My dear..." Said McGonagall, but didn't know what to say, so didn't continue. The young Witch looked up expectantly, and wiped her eyes.

"Sorry Professor. You wanted to speak to me?" She asked. The Headmistress shook her head.

"It doesn't matter anymore. And with the new law you will find out soon. I can't tell you. You should get to bed. It's good to have you back." She said quietly, and Hermione stood up.

"It's good to be back I guess Professor. See you soon." She said back, sounding so much more tired than she had when she arrived. But with a quick wave to the Head, she left.

Minerva sat at her desk and rested her head on her arms.

"You silly old cow you." She muttered to herself. "What have you got yourself into? You're messing with things you don't understand." She shook her head at herself and picked up the piece of paper from across the desk.

"It is for the best my dear." Said a clear voice from above her, and she smiled up at the portrait of Dumbledore. "Yes I know. I just don't want to hurt them." She replied, and the man only nodded in reply, before closing his eyes. 

"Best I get some sleep too I guess. We have a busy year ahead of us." She said to herself, and putting away the Pensieve, walked up the stairs. 

Within 10 minutes she was sound asleep.