33: don't leave me

I sat at the foot of my bed, my feet under the stand, pushing my torso up and down rapidly. I could feel the burn but that's what kept me going.

Sit ups are my religion, especially when you're gaining a little weight.

"88, 89-" I grunted "90, 91--"

"Michonne." Carl called out.

I stopped and sat up, staring at him as he awkwardly leaned against the door frame.

"What's up sweetie?"

"Dad told me not to let you do that." He muttered.

"What?" I scoffed "sit-ups?"

"He doesn't want you doing any kinda exercises."

"Oh.. really? Who's gonna stop me?" I grinned.

"Please don't." He sighed "please don't exercise. You look fine."

His eye was closed and he looked as if he was tired.. but not the tired that sleep could fix.

"Look, I've got alot on my mind and I don't need you hurting yourself, or my sibling." His voice was getting a bit more sterner now. Like his father's when he was getting mad.

"Now get up! Listen to dad. He cares about you Michonne."

"I know," I muttered "I just don't have anything else to do and this is what I'm best at."

"No," he nodded "you're good at making people laugh, and smile, and feeling grateful for what they have."

He reached in his back pocket, pulled out his wallet grabbed his last $20 bill and crinkled it in his hands.

"What if I order pizza and we sit and watch a movie? Will you be down to do that instead of this."

Right when I nodded and smiled, the doorbell rang, "I kinda already ordered it." He chuckled.

"Here, let me pay," I smiled.

I got up, walked over to the dresser, grabbed my purse and headed downstairs. Carl trailed closely behind.

When I reached the door, I swung it open, a big smile on my face... Only to be met by Jay.

He held up a sign and smiled.
"Where's Carl?"

My eye trailed to the sign he held,

"You're hella gay, and I'm hella straight, hut do me a favor and be my homecoming date."

I glanced behind the door and pushed Carl ahead, he stood there in shock.

"Really?" Carl smiled "you'd be my date?"

"I ain't asking for nothing." Jay chuckled.

And they hugged. Yes, they hugged. Their arms wrapped around each other and they held on tight like they were afraid to let go, afraid of what would happen if they did.

Next thing I knew, my eyes were sweating. Just thinking about homecoming when I was younger-- the way my old friend Morgan asked me to go.

We were both activists against violence and racism, so that's what he based it on. It was nice.

Carl pulled away from the hug, dug into his pocket, and handed me his phone.
"Take a picture so I can send it to dad."

He smiled.

Jay glanced at Carl as he happily held the sign with him. Jay was grinnin' at him like he'd never been happier. I don't know, but it hit me in the feels.

I slid to the left and opened Carl's camera, angled it at the boys and took the picture.

"Thanks!" He nervously chuckled.

I nodded and went ahead to send the picture to his dad.

Whilst Carl and Jay had a small talk, laughing and reminiscing.. I noticed Carl's last message to Jay..

"So that's it? You're just gonna leave me?"

Being the nosy heifer I am, I clicked their chat. They weren't paying ANY attention to me, they were too busy bro-flirting with each other.

I read fast. So it took me no time to realize what Carl meant when he said he was going through alot.

Jay 🤘💫: I got accepted into Kennesaw!

(Carl): that's in Alabama, yeah?

Jay 🤘💫: yeah man.. I did it.

(Carl): I just googled it.. that's a really nice college, expensive too.

Jay🤘💫:  I got the ROTC scholarship, remember?

(Carl): ..Oh yeah.

Jay 🤘💫:  aren't you proud of me ?

(Carl): you gotta leave, Jay..

(Carl): you're leaving me

Jay 🤘💫: I'll be back in like 4 years, I might even visit during summer breaks.

(Carl): you're my only friend.. you can't leave me

Jay 🤘💫: you can still call me. I won't really be gone man

(Carl) : you're gonna make new friends and forget all about me :(

Jay 🤘💫:  I ain't never gonna forget u white boy

(Carl): if you really cared you wouldn't go.

Jay 🤘💫: it's my only chance out this place, I'm going

(Carl): so that's it? You're just gonna leave me?

Read 6:21 p.m.

And now he's here. Smiling in Carl's face like everything was okay.

I pressed the lock button and handed Carl his phone. He took it graciously with a grin.

Oh Carl, I'm sorry.

I reached in my purse and handed him a few dollars.
"Pay for the pizza when it comes."

He nodded and I trailed off toward the kitchen.

Soon enough, my phone began to ring.
And it was Rick. My favorite hello and my worst goodbye.

"Hi love," I smiled, answering the phone.

"Hey, Michonne." His bare, raspy voice sent chills up my spine.

"How is it down there?"

He sighed and chuckled faintly, "I've arrested 7 people today."

"Seven!?" I exclaimed.

That's more than he arrests here in a month.

"Yeah." he scoffed.

"You okay down there?" I quickly asked.

There was a pause.

"Rick?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm okay..How are you and the baby?"

"We're good.... We miss you."

"I miss you more," he sniffled "uh, I have a call, I'll talk to you later sweet heart."

And with that, he quickly hung up and I was leaning against the kitchen island, smiling at my phone stupidly.

"3 more days and papa will be home." I chuckled, rubbing my fingers along my stomach.

______________________________________

YALL  I REALLY HATE MYSELF FOR MAKING THAT JARL EDIT LMAO WTF