Chapter 5~ Detention

I squint into the bright sunlight after being thrown onto the grass near the black lake.

"Elizabeth, you will come to detention this evening," Snape mentions as though nothing happened.

"Duh, it is Friday!" I reply. He ignores me and my sarcasm.

"Weasley, you will wait for her outside the dungeons, will you not?" He continues. Ginny silently nods, still shaken up about what just happened. Well so am I, but I'm doing a good job of hiding it. "Come inside once Jemima has left. I need to talk about..... that." Snape points to the diary. We nod.

"Cool," I say.

"Oh, and Elizabeth, 5 points from Gryffindor for using that tone with me." He calmly walks away.

"I really am following in my brother's footsteps, aren't I?" I groan and trudge back to the castle. Ginny gives a weak laugh and follows me.

"Yeah." She whispers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The bell rings and I leap out of my seat.

"Time to make detention with Snape," I mutter.

"Yep." Ginny follows my suit.

"You will wait for me, right?" I ask.

"What sort of person ditches their best friend?" She replies.

"Pettigrew." We make our way to the dungeons. By the time we get there, the corridors are empty. I bid my goodbyes to Ginny and walk through the doors. Snape is sitting at the desk sorting through papers.

"Elizabeth, sit." He motions to anyone of the desks before me. I choose one opposite him and dump my bags on the floor beside it. Jemima walks in and sits next to me "If you are trying to beat your brother's record of how quickly you can get detention, you are certainly on the right track." Snape's slow voice can be so annoying sometimes.

Jemima giggles. I roll my eyes.

"What are we doing in detention, then? Cleaning toilets or the cupboards?" I ask.

"Neither." He looks pointedly in my direction.

"So, what are we doing?" I shrug.

"Nothing."

"Wait, you mean we're just sitting here?" Jemima butts in.

"That is the general meaning of the word 'nothing'. In this context, anyway." I retort.

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes and faces Snape. I pull out my parchment, quill and ink and begin the essay for Charms. "What are you doing?" Her voice is laced with disgust.

"Charms homework," I answer smoothly. She scoffs.

"Why?"

"Maybe because it's in for tomorrow?"

"Stop fighting," Snape says, still shuffling papers.

"Sir, what are you doing?" I ask.

"Like you need to know." Jemima's voice cut through the room with.  high-pitched ring.

"Reading letters." Snape hesitated. He's lying, but I won't push it. I shrug and turn the page over in my Charms textbook. Hours pass as did many failed attempts at persuading him into dismissing us, mainly from Jemima.

"In all honesty, I don't think Ginny will be waiting anymore," I say off-handedly. That catches his attention.

"Dismissed." He waves his hands and stands up, presumably to get more papers. I slowly pack away my things as Ginny shuffles in. She sits next to me as the Potions professor comes through the door. "Did you bring it?"