"I'm gonna take some time off."

"Of course you are." she says gently, stepping back and holding my shoulders.

"I don't know how much time but I have a seat booked to fly over there tomorrow so...I hate to do this to you but could you sort out the final paper work for the Anderson's and can you call Terry and Fran and...I dunno, apologise profusely. I can't handle having to explain this to every solitary client right now."

"I'm sure they wouldn't expect you to."

"And then you can have some time off. Paid, of course, and we'll pick up where we left off when I come back."

"No, that's fine. I've been telling me mum for yonks that I'd go and see her but I spend every 'oliday eatin' ice-cream and watching episodes of Monarch of the Glen."

"Fair enough." I smile, trying to laugh but not managing.

"Do you need anything?"

"No, no, I'm fine. I have to go talk to Rancid Richard now. Wish me luck." I say with a small smile, knowing I'm going to need something stronger than luck to get me through this.

***

I get to 'The Door' and knock.

I have no idea how to approach this so try to remember what Miles told me. He said to make sure I'm calm but firm and to mention that the tickets are already booked; everything else will come out when it needs to... apparently.

There's a grunt from the other side of the door so I open it and step in, already feeling dejected.

Calm but firm. Tickets booked.

I'm so very not prepared for this.

***

"Do you have a couple of minutes?" I ask, closing the door behind me. He doesn't look up from his folder but gestures to the seat. I decide to stay standing. Sitting will just make me feel even smaller than I already do

"Richard. . ."

"Have you looked over the Manor house on Dover Ave yet?" he asks the folder. I restrain myself from rolling my eyes.

"No. I'm going away. As a false gesture of confidence, I even fold my arms.

He looks up from his desk, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I thought we agreed that..."

"No Richard, you agreed. I didn't. Anyway, I just got a call from the hospital. My sister passed away yesterday."

His frown disappears and he looks at me perplexed. I'm not sure what was so perplexing about those words.

"What's the problem then?" he asks. I cock my head slightly to the right with an equally as confused look. Miles words 'calm but firm' flee out the back door of my mind and the words 'riled and aggravated' step in like bouncers in a bar, ready for trouble.

"What's the problem?" I repeat bitterly. "My last remaining family member just died on the other side of the world...that's the problem!"

Richard gives a long sigh and starts weaving his pen through his fingers as he talks.

"Look, I'm sorry to hear that but you just said it yourself. She's on the other side of the world, what can you do?"

"She was my sister." I point out, realising this is a new low, even for Richard.

"Right...okay." he gives in, "Well whatever needs to be done can wait two weeks. Sell this house first then sort out the paperwork later..."

"I can't. I've already booked a ticket."