Chapter 1

Alex walked into the building, taking a deep breath.

That was, he tried to take a deep breath, after he finished laughing at Jack's kicked puppy look. (He wasn't successful.)

After all, he wasn't the only one laughing, so why was Jack's looks - and soon after, odd attachment - directed at him?

He leaned against the reception desk inside the studio and tried to catch his breath. "Mr. Gaskarth?" A voice said questioningly from behind the desk. Alex's eyes flickered to the person. Before him stood a girl with short black hair and a simple The Used tee.

Alex pointed at himself. "Alex." The girl nodded. "Right. You know where you've got to go, happy recording." He read her name tag; Leah. "Thanks," Alex said, flashing a smile as he noticed the All Time Low bracelet that adorned her wrist. He started to walk down the hallway to the other hallway with all the rooms when Jack jumped on his back, tackling him to the ground. "Jack!" Alex laughed and grunted as Zach and Rian piled on too. He could hear Leah laughing from the desk.

The young men walked into the instrument room. Alex picked up the acoustic guitar and Rian skillfully played on some drums. Jack grabbed an electric guitar and strummed it, mimicking Alex singing "Damned if I do ya (Damned If I don't)". The men (although many would debate that, considering their often playful attitude) waltzed into the recording room with only the acoustic. Alex had tuned his guitar and stood in front of the microphone whilst the rest of the band sat behind him and watched. "Woo-hoo! Go Alex!" Jack cheered from the floor. Alex took a deep breath, strummed the first few chords, than began to sing.

" He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes
Started making his way past two in the morning
He hasn't been sober for days

Leaning now into the breeze
Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees
They had breakfast together
But two eggs don't last
Like the feeling of what he needs

Now this place seems familiar to him
She pulled on his hand with a devilish grin
She led him upstairs, she led him upstairs
Left him dying to get in

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
He's determined to call her bluff
Who could deny these butterflies?
They're filling his gut

Waking the neighbors, unfamiliar faces
He pleads though he tries
But he's only denied
Now he's dying to get inside

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

The neighbors said she moved away
Funny how it rained all day
I didn't think much of it then
But it's starting to all make sense
Oh, I can see now that all of these clouds
Are following me in my desperate endeavor
To find my whoever, wherever she may be..."

Alex strummed the last chord of his part and listened to the recording of Cassadee Pope's voice sing her part. Then he picked up again.

"...Well I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home..."

Alex finished the song. He liked how Hopeless used Cassadee's voice instead of Juliet Simms' like they originally said. Jack jumped up and slapped him on the back. "Nice one, 'Lex! Which one next?" Alex thought for a moment. "How about... For Baltimore?" Rian and Zach gave a thumbs up of approval and Jack smiled and sat back down. They played For Baltimore, the feeling of playing in a band, that absolute happiness you had even if it wasn't on stage, was nothing that could ever be replaced.

The band played a few more songs and were about to play another when Jack's stomach decided to become a pterodactyl. Rian, Zach, and Alex all laughed and Jack punched Alex on the shoulder before laughing as well. Leah was standing in the doorway, smiling and repressing laughter. "Boys," she started, knocking on the wall. "Time's up, the next group is here. They need to use the acoustic, Alex, so might as well leave it here. I'll see you all next month, enjoy your holiday break gentlemen!" The band high-fived the girl and made their way out of the studio, saying a quick "hey" to the band recording next - they haven't released their first album yet.

Rian called dibs on driving and Zach called shotgun. Alex and Jack were put in the back of their little silver car. The plan was to leave for Baltimore and spend Christmas at home, then come back to L.A. and continue recording. "Lets get waffles!" Jack shrieked from the back seat, sitting next to Alex. "Sure thing, Jack." Rian said, starting the engine. "I could go for some waffles too, right now." Zach chimed. And so off All Time Low went to the nearest restaurant that serves waffles.

The waitress met them at the doorway and smiled at Alex. "Table for four?" She asked. She had a mass of black hair that was hanging by her side as a braid. "Yeah." Alex said, smiling back at her. Jack nudged him. "Uh, my buddy here would like to know if we could have a booth?" The waitress smiled and said that it would be no problem.

They got their booth, and the waitress flashed a smile, quickly saying, "Hi, I'm Lalita, and I'll be your waitress today. If y'all are ready, I can take your orders?"

"Waffles and a chocolate milkshake!" Jack said, the pterodactyl stomach sound returning for round 2.
"Same here, but with a strawberry milkshake." Rian said, raising his hand slightly.
"I'll have the same as Rian," Zach said, pointing next to him. Alex sat across from them, next to Jack.
"Waffles and a vanilla milkshake." Alex smiled. Lalita nodded and read back the order. The boys confirmed and she said their food will arrive shortly. The entire time, Jack's left leg was pressed against Alex's right.

Cassadee and her band must have had the same idea as the boys because they walked through the large doors of the restaurant. She spotted Rian and came over, Jack shimmied a little bit away from Alex so there was a small space between them.
"Hey, Ribread!~" Cassadee sing-songed. "Hey Cass!" He pulled her down a bit and kissed her. Jack glanced at Alex but he was fiddling with his thumbs. "Hey, guys! You're all going back to Baltimore soon, right? Sure gonna miss you here in L.A.!" She giggled. "The studio will be much more quiet for the next month!" Everyone laughed. "C'mon Cass, we aren't that loud!" Zach complained. Even though Cassadee and Rian are together, they treat her like their sister. "Yeah right! I gotta go, boys, need food. Love y'all!~" She speed walked back to her own table.

Jack didn't shift back from his place where he was practically snuggled right up against Alex.

The waffles and milkshakes arrived, their heavenly aroma leaving the band of boys mouths watering, even before Lalita put down all of their plates.