1.01 ➵ H. D.

"Come on Hollie, we don't have all day! It's time to get packing!" My mom impatiently was rushing me to get my bags filled up with my belongings as well as these boring cardboard boxes.
I sighed, peering one last, scornful glance around the house. I was going to miss this house. It's amazing how much can change in an instant, including someone's house. It was bright, and filled up with such a presence. Now it was clouded up with vacant emptiness.
My mom noticed how gloomy I was viewing the house's appearance, then came up to me, resting her head on top of my shoulder.
"It'll be okay Hollie. I know, I'm sad we're moving too, but it's.... for our own good."
Then why are we moving?
I knew the answer why. I just didn't like thinking too much about it.
My dad passed away a couple weeks ago. It was hard for my mom to even bear staying here. She's been such a broken mess over it since, and thought moving all the way from Boston, Massachusetts to Woodsboro, California. I wondered why out of all places she chose a state that was miles away from where we were standing at.
I guess it was going to be good for me too, I thought to myself in realization.
Fortunately, for my mom, she was a stabilized parent with a chill attitude.
She was strict upon my grades however, and did the best she could to help support me in my life.
She provided nurturing, acted like a friend aside from my mother.
She went to college; she was all books- no fancy clothes, no Miss popularity.
However, she did have an appealing appearance for a forty-five year old nurse assistant. She earned a high amount of pay that would convey us into a stabled lifestyle.
I was gratefully appreciative of that.
:::
It took us two days on car to travel to Woodsboro. Three days if you counted resting stops, but hey, at least we made it.
When we first arrived in Woodsboro, I stared out my car window. It was so different compared to Boston.
It was smaller, yet surrounded itself with crowds of people wandering the streets, alleys, parks, and roads. There were kids playing around in a park, and a dog trying to catch a swirling frisbee into the distance.
I smiled a little, trying to remain calm and happy for my mother's sake.
As I kept looking around the whole town, I reassured myself that it wouldn't be so bad. It would take a while of getting used to it.
Back in Boston I had a best friend named Sofia. She was from Cuba, but she spoke English fluently decent.
We did everything together.
As a matter of fact, our families were best friend's, and she was my next door neighbor. We were that inseparable duo that couldn't be pulled apart. Now we were going to.
Sofia insisted on me calling her everyday. Emailing her, or even sending her postcards once in a while.
She made me promise that I would call her about my first day as a junior at Woodsboro High School.
I was going to miss her so much.
"We are here!"  My mom declared.
I took a look at the house. It was huge, from the outside especially. As we were bringing the boxes inside, I took a long look in the house when I first entered.
It was surrounded into a long hallway for the entrance.
The walls in the living room were painted an olive green, while the kitchen was painted a darkened yellow to match up the marbled surfaced counters, and wooden cupboards.
The flooring was tiled; while the living room was your average gray foam carpet, but it matched the walls perfectly.
The windows in the kitchen were dimming from the sunlight to help indicate the kitchen can be bright, bringing a soothing comfort.
Outback was a patio, which was surrounded by a extravagant garden that appeared magical. It was surrounded by multicolored flowers, shading from purple, blue, pink, orange, to yellow. Butterflies flew around it- it was peaceful.
Upstairs my mom and I claimed our rooms. There was two bathrooms- one for her and one for me. Mine was stunning, although it was empty. The floors were wooden but the shiny kind. The walls were already painted my favorite color, which was a periwinkle.
My mom's was painted hers too, which was a lavender purple.
I took another look around my room.
I had a feeling where I could put my bed, which was in between those two imprinted shelves that would surround it. I could put framed and pictures along with any books or just anything in particular to make it appear more organized.
I noticed that there was a white balcony. That could mean I would be able to go outside and sit.
Or if I just found a boyfriend- which I don't intend to at the moment, he could climb up the tree outside of it.
I could get used to this.
This room was prettier compared to my old one, but the previous one I had I experienced more memories in. Multiple ones I could never retrieve back to me.
"Well," my mom says startling me out of my thoughts again,"time to settle in. Do you like your new room?"
"Yeah." I smiled a little.
It caused her to form a smile too.
"Good, you can unpack some of your boxes now. The moving van is here too with our beds. So you'll be able to sleep here tonight in your bed at least."
I nodded in response, and unpacked some of my boxes.
The first thing I set on the shelf was a framed photograph of Sofia and I.
We were ten in that picture, and I could remember that day like it was yesterday.
She had come over to my house for a play date, while our parents sat and chatted about anything up to date.
In the picture our arms were wrapped around each other's shoulders, our mouths revealing off our white, toothy grins. Back then my freckles showed out more; especially in this picture since we were outside, my freckles peered out more like someone peeled out the skin of a potato.
I also added in some of my books into the shelves, then had to move out of the way when the moving men placed my queen sized bed between the shelves. It made it appear more fuller, and complete.
Later afterwards Mom called me for dinner, which was just an ordered pizza from Dominos.
"So, tomorrow I thought you could get more situated and start school tomorrow, if that's okay? Cause that's when the first day of school starts."
My mom says. I nodded, trying to appear happy, but even my mom could read through my masked expression.
"What's wrong?" She asked.
"It's nothing." I reassured her. She frowned.
"I know honey. You miss Sofia. But I promise, it'll be okay. You still have each other's phone numbers to call. We still have our phone line connected." She reminded me. That was another easy thing about adjusting to Woodsboro.
I extinguished out a sigh, as I finished my pizza.
After I got done with my shower and dressed into some pajamas, I headed into bed. However, I couldn't sleep that night, as I stared at the picture of Sofia and me. I reached over towards it, hugging it close to me for a while. Then I set it back, and eventually fell asleep.