prologue

T r o y e

Do you know the feeling of emptiness in the pit of your stomach when you wake up in the morning everyday? The feeling that makes you numb and churns up your emotions into utter nothingness, making you prone to any human feelings or attachments?

Yes, that's what I feel. Nothingness, emptiness , too narcissistic to care about anything would be the appropriate words to describe me.

I bit into the burnt toast which my mother had served me, blinking my eyes and looking at it blankly. My mind was filled up with so many thoughts at the same time that it was almost vague and just... Empty.

"Troye, you will be late for school," my mum warned me, patting my back as I just shrugged. What's the use of school anyway? Its just another building made up of concrete and bricks which makes people constantly judge others and make wrong decisions in life.

"I don't wanna go? What's the use?" I asked her, placing the nibbled toast on the plate and getting up. I was not hungry, my stomach felt weird and heavy.

"You need to get good grades to get into a good college, Troye," she said the same thing. I have asked her the question at least a thousand times and every time her answer still remained unchanged.

Was that all she really cared about? My grades? Is that the only reason she loves me, like I don't get it why my grades are so important to get a good college and get a good job.

What if I didn't want to go to a college or get a job? What if I just wanted to become a professional procrastinator and lay around in my bed all day while reading gay fanfictions and eating Pringles all day? Well, that isn't actually a bad idea, is it?

"Troye, you have only fifteen minutes till school starts," my mother rolled her eyes at me as she handed me my lunch box and my blue sling bag.

I slung the bag around my shoulder and said a quick goodbye to her as she kissed my cheek and I flinched. I didn't like anyone kissing my cheek. I don't know why or exactly when this happened but I just didn't like anyone touching me.

It somehow made my head dizzy and I felt very unsafe, I just don't know why.

I quickly shook  off the thought from my mind, shrugging my shoulder and walking to school.

On the path, I found some pretty blue flowers and smiled. They looked so pretty, I couldn't help but pick them.

I picked the flowers one by one as I mumbled a small 'ouch' with each flower I picked because I know it must hurt them. They are such delicate, little creatures.

I didn't know where the time flew away because when I looked at my wristwatch, I gasped because the first lecture was already over. I was late again but I didn't care so I picked up more blue flowers, admiring them and wondering if someone would ever pick my emotions and feelings up like I picked the flowers.

I felt the soft petals of the bouquet of flowers tickle against my cheek before I placed them carefully in my bag so that they would not get crushed. There was not enough place for the flowers so I decided to carry some books in my hand to school.

The security guards of our school never really cared whether a student came in late or not because believe me, I am easily distracted by pretty things and I often get late.

The truth is, nobody really cares about what they are doing in their life until and unless they are happy.

And maybe I wanted that too. I wanted to be happy too.

I glanced at my schedule and saw that the second lecture was chemistry practicals and that immediately lifted that spirits. The second lecture was already half way through but I decided to attend it because chemistry was the only subject that I liked and found interesting.

I entered Mrs. Belle's class without even greeting her while scratching my head with a chemistry textbook in my hand.

"You have such great etiquettes, Mr. Mellet," the teacher mocked me but I just faked a smile at her and mumbled a thank you as she shook her head at me in disbelief.

I looked around to see that everyone was performing some cation test with sodium hydroxide and ammonium hydroxide and zinc soluble salts. Everyone was working in partners and I sighed as I walked up to the last bench where the conical flasks and the compounds for the experiment were kept.

Most of the boys had paired up with girls just to compliment them, make them blush and look at their booty. I don't even understand how they can act like barbarians in a school. I hung my head while adding some water in the conical flask along with some zinc suphate and dissolving it.

And as I was doing it, I felt a hand on my shoulder and I immediately shrieked, my body trembled as I felt the conical flask slip out of my sweaty hands and fall down on the cold tiled floor, spilling the solution everywhere.

Everyone looked at me amused and I just scoffed. Its as if they would ever care about some kid in the back, working all alone.

I backed away as I turned my head to look at the person who had placed his hand on my shoulder.

It was a boy or rather a student of my class but I would have never noticed him. He had green-hazel eyes and a sharp jawline, his dark hair resting tousled on his forehead as he looked at me and said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you or spill your contents, I mean spill the solution, spill is such a funny word wow, why did I never notice it before?"

"Shut up," I said to him while rolling my eyes. I was getting the ultimate annoying vibes from him.

"Sorry, I just wanted to ask whether I could  pair up with you since you were alone and also attractive so," he said smiling like a goof while I looked at him in horror. Wow, he was such a creep too.

"I'm Jacob by the way. Actually my name is Taylor Jacob Bixenman but I prefer to go by Jacob," he smiled at me.

"My name is-" I was just about go introduce myself when he cut me off by saying,

"Oh no bother to say that sweetheart, I would rather call you mine," he winked.

Did he just? Of course he did. What a creep.

But though I found him annoying and creepy, I don't know why on earth I still agreed on him  being my lab partner for the rest of the year.

I realised the reason some time later. It was the feeling of loneliness.

• • •

This book is gonna be triggering a lot like I am just warning y'all.

Have a nice day everyone. I hope you liked this!

Ciao!