One Step Closer

**Edited**

The file was lying open on the hotel bed. Kayla took the business card out of her purse and added it to the information. She double checked them. Everything was correct.

Someone was at the door, knocking to be let in. It was Roy. He made his way to the small chair near the big window and sat down. His eyes were fixed on Kayla. He noticed her dark skin glowing more than it used to.

"What is your next move?" He broke the silence.

"I don't know yet. He is still a mystery to me," She replied.

"You better start thinking. Boss is counting on you," he pointed at his clock trying to gesture that they were running out of time.

"I'm aware of that. But remember you are here to help me if I ever get in trouble," Kayla reminded him.

"Of course, sweet pie," the nickname rolled off his tongue like hot butter.

The ring of her phone broke the moment. It was their boss calling. He informed her that he was waiting for her at the bar and reminded her to wear the platinum wig, she was wearing to the casino.

She excused herself and walked into the bathroom to put her thick dark hair into the itchy wig. Roy's head popped in and asked if she needed any help. He knew her thick hair could be a problem trying to get a wig on. Kayla denied, but he insisted. She gave up and let him help her.

After they had successfully hidden all her dark strands into the wig, they once again went their separate ways.

Sitting in front of the almost bald man, she realized how tired he looked. The dark bags under his eyes and the smell of old airplane seats told her he had just gotten off the plane. Also the fact that his suitcase was standing next to their table.

"Did you get the card?" the boss asked.

"Yes. I double checked the information. It is the right man," she replied sipping on her cold water.

"Good, now you can do your job. Remember, no blood will be on our hands."

***

After a long day of traveling around the city, she was back in her room. In an hour she was going to meet the owner of the casino. She had enough time to get into the shower and get ready.

Kayla was staring at a blank surface, herself. It was time to become "Karoline". Like always her hand reached for her favorite lipstick. Thinking about it twice, she decided to ditch it. It was not screaming Karoline. With every makeup product she used, it served the purpose to conceal her face, she was one step closer to becoming Karoline. She was viewing the end product in the mirror: platinum blonde hair, pink lipstick, a black skin tight dress and a pair of designer heels.

She noticed how her posture had changed. It was a whole lot better than her own. Kayla took a long look at Karoline and stepped out of the room.

Roy was just entering his hotel room as Kayla exited. He did not recognize Kayla at first, but the platinum hair gave it away. Not recognizing her was one of the reasons why she was a good fit for the job. Each time she created a new persona, a new character, who took over her body and with each assignment the people she created were getting more and more different. Kayla was truly something special.

Few streets away, Karoline was sitting face to face with the owner of the casino. He was wearing a clean white suit. It was clear that he gave a lot of attention to his looks, maybe a little too much for a man that was happily married.

A waiter came to their table to hand them theirs over priced coffee. They thanked the waiter and continued their conversation.

"Were your people able to find anything on the man that stole my friends bag?" Karoline asked him.

"They checked the footage over and over again. The man is like a superhero. He was so fast, that the camera did not get a clear shot of his face. Whoever he is, he is a professional," he replied.

"That's horrible, there was a lot of money in there. We were hoping to have fun here in this beautiful city of casinos and we loose our money on the first night. It is all a nightmare," she hid her face behind her hands, doing her best to seem upset.

"It's alright. We will find the man, who destroyed your holiday! Let's talk about something else to get our mind of this terrifying event! Tell me something about you," a smirk formed on his face. He was flirting with her. This was going to be interesting.

Karoline played along. Creating the bond made her understand the victim more. She was a little upset that a pretty face like his was going to be lying 6 feet under the ground, but she was getting paid.

————————————————————
———————————
•••

Hello there, beautiful person! Thank you so much for checking out my book, I really hope you have enjoyed it! Don't forget to comment and vote, if you enjoyed it. It would make me the happiest person on earth! 

3. Question: What's your favourite book? 

At the moment my favourite book is "How to stop time" by Matt Haig. There are only a few chapters missing and then I am done with the book and it was the perfect book to start my semester break :)

All the love xx